migrating from an old computer to a new one

Reaction score
Hi,
A newbie here who thinks this question has probably been answered but cannot find an existing thread.

Is it possible to migrate from my old laptop to my new one in a way that transfers my programs? I have several programs (from expensive ones like Photoshop to £20 ones like Yummy FTP) that I bought by download and so don't have a disc to install them with.

Or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay for the programs a second time?

(Going from a PowerPC G4 PowerBook to an Intel MacBook Air running SnowLeopard.)

With thanks,

LinLin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I believe Apple's Migration Assistant will handle the transfer, what version of OS X is the PowerBook running? Since the PowerBook is most likely not running SL, any applications you are currently running will need an upgrade to run..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
The PowerBook is running Tiger, OSx 10.4.11.

It doesn't have a Migration Assistant, but of course the MacBook Air with Snow Leopard does.

Forgive my ignorance -- by an upgrade do mean that I need to upgrade Tiger to SL?

I've never done that kind of upgrade so am a bit uneasy about it, but if that's what needs doing, then it shall be so.

with thanks,

LinLin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think your best bet would actually be to call Apple up and ask them about what the best way of transferring you stuff goes. I can imagine that going from the PowerPC to Intel Mac's will be one thing you'll have to deal with and the next will be that some of your applications only work on Leopard or earlier and not Snow Leopard..

I'm only a recent Mac convert, so I don't want to hand out bad advise or directions which will cause your data any harm..hopefully the experts will chime in here..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i have done my upgrades i now use Migration Assistant on new Laptop to bring across all my data but DO NOT import any Applications. The new OS has all standard Apps already but often 3rd Party Apps have been upgraded/improved since u got them on the old computer. Download fresh copies straight into the new computer. If you Migrate across all your old Apps and one causes a lock up it can take a lot of time sorting which one is the issue.
If u have valid registrations most developers will either resend the code or give u a new one at no cost if u explain what u have done. I know some are a bit greedy and u will have to pay for the upgrade version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.