Magic Trackpad - no left-handers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I just received my Magic Trackpad.

Very nice, except I can't get it to do a double click. In fact the only click I can get it to do is a right click.

Experiment has shown this is because I am left-handed and have my mouse set to reverse the buttons.

I am hoping to use both the mouse (left-handed) and the Trackpad. Is this possible please? Can I teach the Trackpad I am left-handed?

Separate question - how do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Incidentally, the Apple website seems to think there is a Trackpad pane in System Preferences. I don't have one of those. Any idea why not please? :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just received my Magic Trackpad.

Very nice, except I can't get it to do a double click. In fact the only click I can get it to do is a right click.

Experiment has shown this is because I am left-handed and have my mouse set to reverse the buttons.

I am hoping to use both the mouse (left-handed) and the Trackpad. Is this possible please? Can I teach the Trackpad I am left-handed?

Separate question - how do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?

In your first sentence you say all you can do is a "right click"...and then in your last sentence you say..."How do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?" So do you or don't you know how to do a right click?

To do a right click on the Magic Trackpad...you tap the Magic Trackpad with two fingertips simultaneously.

Just in case...you do know that you need OS 10.6.4 installed to use the Magic Trackpad...and you need to install the latest Trackpad software.

Here's the link for the software update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Incidentally, the Apple website seems to think there is a Trackpad pane in System Preferences. I don't have one of those. Any idea why not please? :(

That's because (according to your profile) you have a desktop Mac. Mac laptops have a trackpad system preference because of the laptops built-in trackpad...desktops don't have a built-in trackpad...that's why you don't have a trackpad system preference on your iMac.

It sounds to me that you didn't install the trackpad software update.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After I had installed the Trackpad, I ran Software Update again and it installed an update for the Trackpad. It seems you only get that after you connect the Trackpad. Very neat.

Now I have the new pane in System Preferences. I can set the second tap, which works fine.

First impressions are good. It feels very like using the iPad. Not sure if I will move permanently from the Logitech cordless keyboard and Marble Mouse, but it does look good with the Trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard.

Cool :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After I had installed the Trackpad, I ran Software Update again and it installed an update for the Trackpad. It seems you only get that after you connect the Trackpad. Very neat.

Now I have the new pane in System Preferences. I can set the second tap, which works fine.

First impressions are good. It feels very like using the iPad. Not sure if I will move permanently from the Logitech cordless keyboard and Marble Mouse, but it does look good with the Trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard.

Cool :)

Awesome...glad to see you got the Magic Trackpad running.:)

Yes the process of installing it is a bit more complex than usual. Like you mentioned...you have to have the Magic Trackpad plugged in first, before trying to apply the software update.

Enjoy the "Magic Trackpad". Kind of neat to be able to do the multi-finger gestures on desktop computers.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
running.:) you have to have the Magic Trackpad plugged in first, before trying to apply the software update.

How do you plug in a wireless device? I read your post and was like hmmm I don't see any spots to attach power or USB or other cords to the trackpad. So I'll ask you what did you mean by that? As far as I know you don't plug in a wireless device.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you plug in a wireless device? I read your post and was like hmmm I don't see any spots to attach power or USB or other cords to the trackpad. So I'll ask you what did you mean by that? As far as I know you don't plug in a wireless device.

You're absolutely correct...nice catch!:)

I was probably writing quickly...and used the wrong terminology. Instead of saying "plugged in"...I should have said (considering it's a wireless bluetooth device)..."discovered" or "paired".

Thanks for catching that mistake,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.