Uses for old G4 Powermac tower and 23" screen?

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I have an old G$ tower, reasonable amount of memory and two drives, plus a 23" cinema screen. Both are redundant as I have new iMac and powerbook.

The cinema screen has the old connection type so is no use as a second screen with the iMac as far as I know. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I don't want to sell the G4 on eBay as I am worried about data theft (I used it in my business) even if I erase the drives.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas about what I can do with this set-up. Seems a shame just to throw it all away as it all works fine - if slowly compared with modern gear. (Runs Tiger by the way).

All ideas welcomed.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Set it up as a file server if you need that. I have set of Tiger OS X server disks if you are interested

Otherwise, load it up with itunes music, attach a set of speakers and you have a great jukebox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You may find a willing private buyer in the UK, it's a good computer. Otherwise a donation to a local school perhaps. Incidentally, I think erasing the drives completely would also erase the sensitive data to which you refer. As for the cinema display, if it has the VGA connection, there are adaptors to connect it to your modern Macs.

OP
A

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
Thanks. I am tempted by the server idea.

I would donate it to a school - but they are all PC around here. And I would need to be very sure that the persona data on the disks cannot be recovered by anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
sell the monitor at least. could still get a good price for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't want to sell the G4 on eBay as I am worried about data theft (I used it in my business) even if I erase the drives.
Well, there really isn't much to worry about if you erase and reformat the drives... but, if you are still apprehensive about it, just take the drives out and sell the tower without them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.