Problem recognizing DVD -R media

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro (2.2ghz core 2 duo) running OSX 10.5.6, equipped with a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N DVD drive.

I've run into a strange problem. When inserting blank DVD -R media, the drive spins the disks for a minute or so before spitting them out. Obviously, this makes burning DVDs nearly impossible.

Here are some additional details and some of the steps I've taken.

--Already burned DVDs (program discs, Movies, etc.) work in the drive just fine
--the drive will recognize (and Burn) DVD -RW media
--I am using DVD -R media from a spool of blanks that I've used within the last 6-8 months.
--I've tried rebooting--repairing permissions and rebooting, but neither of these steps have worked.

It seems odd that -RW media would work and not -R...almost like a pref file has been corrupted. Has anyone had an experience like this that they've resolved? Anyone have any guesses on how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Yeah I have. Try a different brand. Many people have had this problem and then try another brand and they are ok.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't think the brand of media is the problem...

Actually, i used this brand a few months earlier. It's not a generic media (Verbatim) and i have burned many discs using this brand. Unless my Macbook's drive has just developed a distaste for the disks, i still think there is a problem at the software (OS) or hardware (hopefully not!) level...

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I think that trying another brand is a good idea. Maybe you have a bad batch. It is worth a try but I think that you are right though.

What software are you using?

OP
K
Reaction score
Again, i don't think its the media because I had used 3/4 of the spool with this computer (and it burned them fine). Since I last burned dvd-r's I've done several software updates and a firmware update... so I'm wondering if it a corrupted pref file...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well just ignore all the advice and keep going.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm not ignoring advice--I have tried other brands and they do not work either. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not there was a quick fix for this problem--or if i'll have to sent my notebook out to mac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.