Windows Boot Camp partition is causing problems

Reaction score
So I'm having an unusual issue (Unusual in the sense that it never affected my 2008 MBP), but when I install Windows 7 on my boot camp partition on my 2010 MBP (15-inch), I find that programs like Final Cut and Photoshop take a RIDICULOUSLY long time to boot up properly (4 minutes to just boot up). Is this a problem with the hardware? Or am I not installing this properly? I've tried installing windows 3-4 different times with the same issue. Every time I restore the partition to a single mac volume, the problem is fixed. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much disk space are you allocating to the Windows 7 partition? And how much overall space do you have? Also, how much memory do you have? Both programs need memory and will use swap space (disk space) as virtual memory if there's not enough.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How much disk space are you allocating to the Windows 7 partition? And how much overall space do you have? Also, how much memory do you have? Both programs need memory and will use swap space (disk space) as virtual memory if there's not enough.

And how much free space are you leaving in the OS X partition after creating the Win 7 partition?

OP
I
Reaction score
It's the 15-inch MBP. So, 500GB total. 4GB of RAM.

I've allocated only 50GB to Windows 7.

I've presented this problem to a number of people, and all I get is people scratching their heads. :<

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right; it is a head scratcher. It doesn't make sense. With that much disk space and memory available for Photoshop and Final Cut, you should have no problem running them.

There has to be another factor in the equation that we're not aware of. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.