Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

My question is, I urgently need to upgrade this to a full power thing to edit my video. Which kind of hardware should I get regarding harddrive, cpu, memory etc? thanks so much for any help.

stone

Reaction score
Hi there,

My advice to you, is to download Mactracker and click the "This Mac" tab, on the left side.

That will identify your Mac by what's known as its "Gestalt ID" and tell you what the possible upgrade paths available to you are.

Hope this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I just did. But I am not sure how I use it.

Here is the question:
I got 2GB memory, now if i update to 32, do I need buy 30GB (7x4GB + 1x2GB memory?)

For hard drive, I suppose I can buy 3x 1TB hard drive fill in the other 3 cores?

do i need to buy CPU as well?

Thanks so much,
stone
Hi there,

My advice to you, is to download Mactracker and click the "This Mac" tab, on the left side.

That will identify your Mac by what's known as its "Gestalt ID" and tell you what the possible upgrade paths available to you are.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No, your CPU is just fine. Max out the memory and put in 2 2Tb or bigger SATA II drives and you'll be set.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And quite frankly, there are a lot of people editing video with a lot less machine than you have there.

That machine is capable of editing video without doing anything to it, although more RAM and a faster hard drive may help speed wise.

Are you just wanting to edit some home video... doing this professionally... what app are you using for editing...etc?

I'd suggest before you go throwing money at it, you explain why it is you believe it needs upgrading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above. Blind upgrading things to the max is lovely and will fix your needs but can be very expensive and can be overkill for the tasks you want to do. best for you to work out exactly what you want to do and what specs you need. You might not need to upgrade to the max to get a machine very capable doing what you want it to. And in the procesd you'll save yourself a lot of money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.