Lacie External Hard Drive Problem!

Reaction score
Hi

I've bought a mini 5 pin USB to connect my hard drive to a PC via USB.

However when i connect (to my Mac & PC via this lead) i cant seem to find where the Lacie drive is. The power light on the external drive is on but cant find it in the finder on my Mac or when i connect to PC.

I know the external drive is compatible for Mac & PC.

It all works fine via Firewire on my Mac and comes up straight away in the finder. Its just i need to connect to the PC via USB........Any help appreciated

Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Does it need more power to connect via USB?

Some USB cases come with a double USB cable to it can get twice as much power from the USB bus to power up.

Does the drive have a power input as an option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I thought you need to format it to work on the PC if it was formatted for the Mac and that
FAT32 can be read and write by both but with a limited volume.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The format has nothing to do with whether or not the drive can be "seen". His LaCie can't be seen by the PC which leads me to agree with louishen that the drive is not getting enough USB power to mount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.