Connecting to 3G Networks - iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3GS

Reaction score
I noticed a strange phenomenon:
My old iPhone 3G seems to be better at connecting to 3G networks than my new iPhone 3GS.

I run both parallel, one has my company sim card, the other my personal sim card (both same provider).
The older 3G phone shows "3G" more regularly than the newer 3GS.

I compared the settings and the phones are usually sitting next to each other.
I also swapped the sim card to see whether t might be sim card related, but the results were the same. The older phones is better at finding 3G networks.

Has anyone made a similar observation, or has any explanation?

Thank you.

Kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Threads merged, please don't cross post.

OP
K
Reaction score
Threads merged, please don't cross post.

Well, if it has been discussed before, would you care to point me in the right direction?

When I do a search on this forum for "3G networks 3G 3GS", which would be the likely keywords for finding information whether the 3GS iPhone has more difficulties to lock on to 3G networks than the older 3G phone, I get 3 hits, none of which provides the answers.

A short "Threads merged, please don't cross post." is hardly helpful for a new member, is it?
(That is if one cares enough to to be helpful....)

Thank you.

K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well, if it has been discussed before, would you care to point me in the right direction?

When I do a search on this forum for "3G networks 3G 3GS", which would be the likely keywords for finding information whether the 3GS iPhone has more difficulties to lock on to 3G networks than the older 3G phone, I get 3 hits, none of which provides the answers.

A short "Threads merged, please don't cross post." is hardly helpful for a new member, is it?
(That is if one cares enough to to be helpful....)

Thank you.

K

He did not say anything about searching before you post. He said do not cross post. Do not post the same exact thread twice...

Helpful? Yes so you don't do it again in the future.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
He did not say anything about searching before you post. He said do not cross post. Do not post the same exact thread twice...

Thank you.

^^
this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To help the OP, this is the first I heard about this happening. There was another post saying that they noticed it taking a while to find 3G service when powering up but that's not really the same.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
K
Reaction score
Quote:

Thank you.

Cross-Posted??? My apologies.
I wasn't even aware that this post had shown up cross-posted.
Although - as a moderator on a non-computer related forum - I am aware that this can occur when the connection gets reset. (Some forum softwares tries to avoid this by blocking a repeat post within a certain time frame of the original post.)

Ever seen this?
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=157381” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

"and then try again." Not always the fault of the member, you see?

I know also that when you make a new member feel welcome, these members may grow into valuable additions to the forum who will quickly come to grips with forum software, etiquette, get to know the subject better and will eventually contribute to a strong, vibrant and growing forum.

It all starts with making newcomers feel welcome - or stops when they feel pushed around with snappy replies and start looking somewhere else.

Remember; whatever forum you visit and where you deem yourself an expert, YOU started as a novice too at some time.

K.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay we got that out of the way lets get back to your original post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.