My 24 inch imac is dead :-(

D

dtownsu0000

well its stuck in a neverending white screen of death. Maybe I should start this story from the beginning.

I had bootcamp and windows xp running fine, but I wanted to try vista, so I went and got a copy from microsofts site and went to set it up. I previously had xp on a fat formatted partition so when i tried to install vista over that i got an error, so I assumed it was the formatting and i delted the partition and created a new partition formatted in ntfs. So i try again to install vista. This time it says it cant because it requires some drivers or somethingnot quite sure, point is I delete one of the partions from there (i cant rember what my reasoning for this was at the time) but i still had the mac partition that im sure of(because it was the big partition so i didnt touch it). Anyways vista still wouldnt install so I decide to just install the windows xp back in but I acidentally put an older version of xp that doesnt have sp2. Something or other happened and now my imac starts up with the little start up music but it stays on a white screen. Its the bluetooth keyboard and mouse version btw. I called tech support and ive tried a million start up commands the only ones that work are pushing the mouse button to eject cd and the one that resets the pram or something and holding option makes the mouse cursor appear but nothing else. There is a tech thats suppose to come one of these days but i would like to fix it myself if possible. Is there any way or am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Can you boot to disc by holding down C? If you can then it sounds like you need to reformat. Boot Camp is still a beta and doesn't even officially support Vista's RC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It sounds like somewhere along the way you managed to delete the efi boot manager...

Try trpnmonkey's suggestion, if that doesn't work you're up a creek without a paddle I'm afraid.

If you really want to mess around with this stuff, it's always advisable to keep a bootable backup harddrive around so you have something to fall back on. Although in this case it's not clear if that would work.

OP
D

dtownsu0000

I tried holding c like a million times i guess im just gonna have to wait for the repair man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, if you have another intel mac, you could connect the 2 with a firewire cable, and boot the imac by holding down 't'.

That'll let you access the iMacs drive from the other mac and you can reinstall OS X from there.

OP
D

dtownsu0000

Aptmunich said:
Well, if you have another intel mac, you could connect the 2 with a firewire cable, and boot the imac by holding down 't'.

That'll let you access the iMacs drive from the other mac and you can reinstall OS X from there.

thats something i haven't tried but dam I only know one person who has an intel mac and I don't have a firewire cable but i can get a hold of a none intel mac do you think that would work?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Because you are trying to load and mac OS X (Intel), you will need an mac Intel box.

Reaction score
OP
D

dtownsu0000

i guess ill try to get a hold of another mac otherwise ill suggest it to the repair man whenever they show up, but does anyone know any command that would let me reformat and reinstall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtownsu0000 said:
i guess ill try to get a hold of another mac otherwise ill suggest it to the repair man whenever they show up, but does anyone know any command that would let me reformat and reinstall?
Since you are unable to Boot by CD by holding down C it looks like your boot loader was deleted as Aptmunich said. Without the bootloader you can't do anything on your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo, 7600GT 256mb, 250GB HD, 1GB RAM
Since you are unable to Boot by CD by holding down C it looks like your boot loader was deleted as Aptmunich said. Without the bootloader you can't do anything on your machine.

That is really worrying, can this be fixed and is it covered by Apple Care? I also presume that support for bootcamp isnt too good..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should be normally covered by AppleCare but I am not sure what happens since Apple is not responsible for anything that happens with Boot Camp since it is a beta. They do not provide support for Boot Camp in general

OP
D

dtownsu0000

actually apple is replacing my logic board and hardrive, but there on back order so I still have to keep waiting unfortunately. It made me feel like telling them just send someone over with an intel mac and a firewire cable, but whatever. Apple's customer service is pretty good though so I'm glad i got that warranty.

Reaction score
No, you need a firewire but if they are replacing your logic board target disk mode would not help anyway.

OP
D

dtownsu0000

Jammers said:
No, you need a firewire but if they are replacing your logic board target disk mode would not help anyway.

yeah but who knows how long it could take for them to do that, if I could fix it by simply connecting it to another mac and loading the os x I'd much rather do that and save them the trouble.

Reaction score
Yes but my point is is that if they are replacing the logic board your Mac is screwed and trying to reinstall Tiger won't have any effect anyway.

OP
D

dtownsu0000

Yeah but they are basing their whole reason on changing my logic board and hardrive on the fact that my screen stays white. They haven't actually seen the computer they just did some over the phone troubleshooting. Personally I think the logicboard and hardrive are fine and I think I did just delete the loader.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.