• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD 06 Menu Duration Error Messages

Reaction score
Hi. I am only fairly new to the AppleMac Suite. I bought a secondhand iBook G4 to edit home movies using iMovie 06. Things were progressing nicely. I was able to do all the things that I needed to (eg, add Chapters, Music, Stills, etc.) I would then send the completed work across to iDVD, add a fancy start scene, and off it'd go. It would always come up with a message saying that DropZones had to be filled. That was fine, as I used Autofill to do that. All my movies have been around 60 to 90 minutes long, with some having up to 20 Chapters. Still no problems. However, my last two efforts struck a problem. Got an error message saying that "the Menu Duration exceeded 15 minutes". I referred to the Help screen to see what that meant, but I'm afraid the terminology used had me stumped. In an effort to fix this, I made sure that every Chapter was less than 15 minutes long, but that didn't work. The only way I could complete a job was to remove the Chapter Markers completely. Although that worked, it really defeats the purpose, because the Chapter Markers are an essential part of the movies I'm editing. I tried to get an appointment at an Apple Genius Bar, but because my Mac is "secondhand", it isn't supported. I have looked at iDVD Tutorials on-line, but still can't seem to find the answer. I think the most annoying aspect of the whole thing is that my early efforts worked fine, and although these last two are pretty similar in size and Chapter amounts, they come up with this error message. As I said, it may simply be a case of me not understanding the terminology used. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
When you selected Autofill, did the zones end up with movies or stills?

If movies, try replacing these manually with stills. Clearly the movies could be causing the problem because their duration could be excessive.

Let us know if it works.

Cheers Mitcherooney

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.