I need reassurance about MacBook screen dimensions

Reaction score
Hey guys!.

I am in the process of buying an Apple MacBook C2D (White, naturally! ;))
and I wish to ask this question of people:

1/ Can anyone tell me if they use a MacBook (The latest ones - NOT MacBook Pro!)

2/ The new MacBook has a screen size of 13.3 inches (diagonal) with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels - very good resolution for that size, if you ask me.

Please let me know if you notice any usability/viewing/enjoyment issues, between a standard 15.4" WXGA widescreen tft, and the MacBooks 13.3" WXGA tft.

I have drawn a size comparison on paper (too large to scan, unfortunately, otherwise I would have attached it as JPEG) and the 13.3" tft, naturally is smaller as expected, but I just need some reassurance.

Had Apple made the screen 10 inches, I would probably worry, but 13.3 seems a very good balance to me - I would just like some feedback and comments from those who use these screens day to day.

Many thanks, as per usual, and __//--<[[ A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! ]>--\\__

Reaction score
Go for it.

You're right. 13.3" is a good size - the resolution makes it work.

I've been using my MacBook for more hours of the day for a while now, and I don't squint or feel cramped at all.

I was actually eying the 15" MBP, but previous experiences with bigger laptops took me to the 13.3". In my opinion, too big of a laptop can defeat it's essence.

ONE "regret" - I did think the lit keyboard on the MBP is very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Well, I've had mine for a little over a month now. When I went to the apple store the screen did seem small. Now that I use it everyday it is a good size and I have no trouble with it at all.

Hope that helps :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reassurance guys! :).

Incidentally, does anybody know how I would find out the tft response times, in milliseconds, for the MacBook screens?. Not a major issue but I'd like to know, all the same. Cannot find them ANYWHERE! :(

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
I have the first generation macbook but since we are discussing the screen size I will chime in. Initially, I too, (i think, like most people), was worrisome that the 13 inch screen would be too small to work with in any situation of extended use. I was so concerned that i went and bought a 17 inch LCD monitor to use in conjunction with my macbook (i had a SICK dual monitor set up for a while). But after some time with my macbook i realized that 13.3 is really the sweet spot with laptops. I never find it a hastle or uncomfortable to use my macbook for many hours. On the contrary, I now feel like i could even go with a smaller one ;) Either way, you will find after the first few hours with your macbook that the size is just right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
13.3's perfect for a laptop, but not if you're going to be using it as a desktop hours on end.

OP
U
Reaction score
I am feeling extremely comfortable about the screen now :D - all I need to do now is raise the extra £440 :( ... was hoping to get it before Christmas... but hey, ce la vie! :).

I concur - am watching people on 'youtube' playing with their MacBooks, and everyone seems entirely happy (of course there are a FEW moaners, but negligable!).

I cannot wait.... like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.... just coincidental that Christmas is quite literally a matter of days away.

Anything else I can look forward to?. How do the graphics run, what with it being intel integrated?. I am going to be using the standard 1GB ddr2 for a while, so *all* feedback much needed and very much appreciated indeed!.

:D :D Thankyou people!

OP
U
Reaction score
What a fabulous forum, and you guys are so helpful and friendly!! :D :D

Thanks guys - keep posting your opinions, as I may compile them and print them off when I write my Mac buyers manual :). Don't stop posting dudes, I wanna know EVERYTHING you love/hate about MacBook (NOT Pro!).

Many, many thanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ask and ye shall receive:

a few apps to check out:

unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).

also, these threads are fun for anecdotal reference:

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

OP
U
Reaction score
Incidentally, does anybody know how I would find out the tft response times, in milliseconds, for the MacBook screens?. Not a major issue but I'd like to know, all the same. Cannot find them ANYWHERE!

Reaction score
i think the screen is perfect. I have mine here in Iraq with me and I use it to watch movies in my spare time. So far so good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.