iPhone 4S & GarageBand

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newbie to these forums and seek some assistance.

I recently purchased the new iPhone 4S and also purchased GarageBand.

Although it is cool playing touch drums I'd like to be able to record my own instrument.

I play Bass Guitar and have tried running directly from the bass to my iPhone (using a 1/4 inch to 1/8 converter jack) but when I push playback after recording a demo I get no sound (even though it looks to have recorded something :/).

I have tried google searching this but it's been no help.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Simon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
What you need is this.

Or similar.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chuckoir. Do you mean the iRig or Amplitube?
I'd rather steer clear of Amplitube - I have a heard from a few sound engineers that it can get expensive once you start buying plug-ins etc.
I just want to be able to record on the go similar to how I record on my MacBook Pro with GarageBand.
Cheers mate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry yeah, what you need is the iRig. There are others available but that's the one that springs to mind. You don't have to use the amplitube software as the iRig is compatible with Garage band.

OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers - I might buy a cheapy of eBay; if it actually works then I will fork out the proper cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, you're welcome! :)

Just out of interest, and I hope I'm not being nosey... What guitar do you play?

OP
S
Reaction score
Not being nosey at all!

I am currently using a Schecter Studio 6 String Translucent Black. I've added active EMG pickups to it. This thing it brutal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you can afford it, I'd recommend the Apogee Jam over the iRig. The signal to noise ratio is better and the background noise floor is a lot cleaner. This is important if you're actually recording anything.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not being nosey at all!

I am currently using a Schecter Studio 6 String Translucent Black. I've added active EMG pickups to it. This thing it brutal!

Nice! Those EMGs sound good in most things I find, but even more so in that!

I've currently got an SG Angus Young Sig, and a crappy old Squier Strat.

I keep looking for a "guitar thread" on here because I imagine there would be a fair few, but have had no joy. I may create one at some point, so us guitar types can bore eachother to death, not affecting anyone else.

I would have to agree with Doug as well regarding the Apogee, but it is on the tad pricey side.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Doug. Thanks for the input but I think I'll go with the iRig. Really I want it for it to quickly lay down some new ideas when they come to mind. I'll use the Mac for "proper" recordings.

Chuckoir - I agree - we need to guitar forum! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.