Can't connect to internet

B

bleujaegel

I have a blue and white G3 with OS 10.3.3. I was just browsing the internet, and downloaded Firefox. The installation attempt failed. I ran the terminal command ipconfig getifaddr en0, and get a (OS/Kern) failure message. In the system preferences under Network, it switched to 'Modem' as the primary internet connection, and won't let me enter in the Ethernet IP info to connect to internet via router. I can see the ethernet entry, but it's greyed out. Anyone had this problem? How do you restore the Ethernet capability if it is no longer functioning? It could also have been related to browsing the internet. I was on Google, and clicked a link. When the page loaded, I started having problems, but I thought Mac's were mostly immune to viruses and spyware. Any suggestions? Is there a way to restore the system to a previous point in time like Windows system restore? Thanks.

OP
J

joseph_68

bleujaegel said:
I have a blue and white G3 with OS 10.3.3. I was just browsing the internet, and downloaded Firefox. The installation attempt failed. I ran the terminal command ipconfig getifaddr en0, and get a (OS/Kern) failure message. In the system preferences under Network, it switched to 'Modem' as the primary internet connection, and won't let me enter in the Ethernet IP info to connect to internet via router. I can see the ethernet entry, but it's greyed out. Anyone had this problem? How do you restore the Ethernet capability if it is no longer functioning? It could also have been related to browsing the internet. I was on Google, and clicked a link. When the page loaded, I started having problems, but I thought Mac's were mostly immune to viruses and spyware. Any suggestions? Is there a way to restore the system to a previous point in time like Windows system restore? Thanks.

I wonder if you could try creating a "New Location" in the Network System Preferences that would allow you to start your settings from scratch? Maybe the one you have now is corrupted somehow. If it works, then you can just delete the old profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
try deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.networkConfig.plist

Back it up first of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.