Parallels and the USB

Reaction score
I have a big problem with Parallels and the USB. I have installed Windows XP but I cannot see any device that I put in the USB port. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a big problem with Parallels and the USB. I have installed Windows XP but I cannot see any device that I put in the USB port. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Which version of Parallels are you using? The beta release candidates handle USB devices a lot better, I would recommend upgrading if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
make sure it is a device that is supported by windows and u have installed the proper drivers...
p.s. y would u want to run windows anyway?

Reaction score
USB support is just now maturing in virtualization. VMware and Parallels are putting it in their next product. With VMware Fusion, I've experience Kernel Panics when removing USB2 devices from the VM, so it isn't quite there yet. However I think you'll see the kinks worked out when these products go gold. VMware is scheduled for final release this summer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
USB support is just now maturing in virtualization. VMware and Parallels are putting it in their next product. With VMware Fusion, I've experience Kernel Panics when removing USB2 devices from the VM, so it isn't quite there yet. However I think you'll see the kinks worked out when these products go gold. VMware is scheduled for final release this summer.

I experienced the same things with VMWare Fusion. Parallels' beta release candidates are far more mature at this point and USB devices seem to work fine for the most part.

p.s. y would u want to run windows anyway?

The point of running emulation like Parallels is to be able to have the choice to run the various Windows applications not available on Mac. In my opinion, being able to run Windows within a window, without having to reboot is one of the greatest strengths of the Intel Mac platform - giving the Mac world the largest selection of software of any platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.