Final Cut Pro 7 (probably involves Quicktime X/7pro) to iDVD 16:9 problem

Reaction score
Hi, I used Final Cut Pro 6 for about two years, with Tiger then Leopard, and when working with SD footage shot on miniDV camcorder, I used this workflow to export a 16:9 film to burn on a iDVD project (using Quicktime pro 7):

iDVD: DV widescreen 16:9 workflow from Final Cut Pro

Everything worked fine until now: 10.6.2 with Quicktime X and Final Cut Pro 7. I export films either on FCP7 as QT movie (Apple pro Res DV-PAL Anamorphic or just DV-PAL 48kHz Anamorphic) or on Compressor for the same formats and doing "Get Info" on the files in Finder they are 720x576, which is what i would expect. Back in Leopard and with FCP6, files exported as this, would show a 4:3 on QT pro 7 and then on Show Movie Props we could change to 1024x576 for the 16:9 ratio which was necessary for iDVD. From then on, QT pro7 would show that movie in 16:9 ratio and iDVD also. What about now with Quicktime X, SL and FCP7?

Not sure what the problem is. I have QT pro7 also installed so I can do (or try to do) the 16:9 trick in the Show Movie Props window. The thing is that this movies, exported from FCP7 and that show as 720x576 in Get Info of Finder, play as 16:9 in QTX (normal since they are anamorphic) but also in QT pro7, contrary to what happened in Leopard. Opening the Show Movie Props show this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2789941/qt7.png

Notice the sizes. 1048,8x576? 1048x576? What the heck is that? Then, if I type 1024 on the scaled size, the display size changes to 1023... if I type 1025, the display size changes to 1024... and needless to say, I have not yet found a solution to this and since I cannot open my FCP project in FCP6 (it is already in FCP7 format), I'm kind of doomed with a DVD deadline to a client. I cannot have iDVD to show the film as 16:9. You might all say "why don't you go for DVD Studio Pro?". I'm a one man band. Learned FCP first, now into Motion... Final Cut Studio is six apps and with the rest o life going on I cannot learn them all at the same time. Not yet into DVD SP.

Any ideas about this mess? Anyone with a similar problem?
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.