macbook probs

Reaction score
Hi, I was on another board and someone was asking what to do about this problem. I mentioned a time machine boot, but she doesn't know about it. Any suggestions?

thanks,

I have had a MACBOOK for a few years and love it! However, I reinserted my software CD recently to try and fix a problem. In mid run, I ejected it. Since then my screen is light blue and the small circular wheel icon keeps turning. It will not respond to keying at all.
(It is not the colorful "beachball" icon BTW).

Does anyone have some suggestions so that I can avoid taking it in???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I was on another board and someone was asking what to do about this problem. I mentioned a time machine boot, but she doesn't know about it. Any suggestions?

"I have had a MACBOOK for a few years and love it! However, I reinserted my software CD recently to try and fix a problem. In mid run, I ejected it. Since then my screen is light blue and the small circular wheel icon keeps turning. It will not respond to keying at all."

Depends on what this person was doing when they inserted the disk. If they were trying to reinstall the OS, or were trying to repair something on the hard drive...it wasn't a very smart idea to try to eject the disk midway thru the process!:(

They may have screwed things up so much (the hard drive directory)...that the computer doesn't even know what to do...and the worst case scenario might be to:

- reformat the hard drive
- reinstall the OS

Of course this will mean the user will lose all their files.

Another idea would be...boot the computer from an external drive (with an OS on it)...and then see if the internal hard drive "mounts" properly to get access to the files on it.

A 3rd idea is...boot the computer from an OS install DVD...launch Disk Utility...and see if the hard drive can be repaired (but tell the user NOT to try ejecting the DVD midway thru the process)!!!;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I will forward your suggestions to her.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.