Can Time Machine use two hd

Reaction score
I was wondering if Time Machine can use two different hd to back up data? What I mean by this is can I use one hd with Time Machine to say back up my iMac and then a second hd with Time Machine to back up my external drive that holds my pictures? I'm asking because instead of buying one super large capacity ext hd to back up all drives onto one hd, I'm thinking I would like to just use some of my extra hd laying around. Plus, the larger capacity ext hd seem to only come in RAID configuration and I prefer to not have it configured as RAID.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was wondering if Time Machine can use two different hd to back up data? What I mean by this is can I use one hd with Time Machine to say back up my iMac and then a second hd with Time Machine to back up my external drive that holds my pictures?

Yes, you can. I have two external hard drives for Time Machine backups and can alternate between them. You can set them both up in Time Machine preferences. You can also have one Time Machine drive for just backing up your Mac and the other for backing up your external hard drive. Make sure you name the drives so that you always know which will backup what. Otherwise you may overwrite a backup with the wrong one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.