Music and data cd's won't load or play

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one would know why when I load a data cd or music cd it won't play automatically. Dvd's work fine. I checked my settings with my wife's settings and they are the same. Her's works fine. :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you insert a music CD and it shows up on your desktop, right click on it and select "Open With". Choose an application from the list and set it as the default. The application will likely be iTunes. A data CD is not going to "play" automatically as it first has to be opened to show which data you wish to view. (Unless you're referring to something else.)

OP
BerettaMan
Reaction score
Hi chscag, The disc icon doesn't show up on my desktop. I'll pop the disc in and the drive will make a few clicks then it spits the cd back out. My music cd's won't play any more and it won't let me load the Turbo Tax disc. I used to be able to just pop the discs in and they would automatically open.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac? You might have a dirty lens, try to blow some compressed air into the slot/tray or use a lens cleaning CD to see if that will resolve it for you..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with the above suggestion. Your problem is not with the software or system, it's mechanical. Either the drive lens is dirty or the drive itself is defective in which case it needs to be replaced. Or, you can buy an inexpensive external USB tray loading drive and use it instead.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How old is your iMac? The slot loading optical drives of old Macbooks have gone bad for a lot of people requiring them to get external drives. You might have to do the same..

OP
BerettaMan
Reaction score
Hmmm...the dvd player works fine. Guess I'll have to bring it on down to The Apple Store in Providence for someone to take a look at it. Thanks guys for the help. I'll let you guys know the outcome. :)

OP
BerettaMan
Reaction score
RazOrEdge, Early to mid 2000. This is the first time ever having any problem with it. :eek:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you still have AppleCare coverage on it, you should definitely take to a Apple store and have them sort it out for you..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.