Macbook internet problem

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having a really weird problem with the internet on my computer. It's a little hard to explain so bear with me while I try to explain it.

So sometimes, I'll be watching a video on youtube or netflix, or HBO GO, and only a few minutes after I start the video, it will pause, but the audio will still be playing on a sort of repeat at that one particular spot. After a few seconds of this, my internet connection on the AirPort icon at the top of the screen (which is fine, all four bars while this is happening) will start looking like it's loading. after a minute of searching for a connection it will just shut off, and I won't be able to get it back until after I shut the lid of the laptop for about a minute and then flip it open again. When I do that, everything's fine until I start the video again, and then the process repeats.

I know that it's not a problem with my router or modem, because I've tried it with other internet connections and the same thing happens. But my laptop works fine on other websites that I use like facebook and such.

This also happens when I'm playing WoW. Mid-game the same thing will happen and it doesn't disconnect me from the server either.

I have a feeling that it might be related to overheating, but I recently bought a cooling pad, and this issue still occurs even when the computer is fairly cool.

If anybody has any clue of what the cause of this problem might be, then I would really be happy to hear anything. I'm gonna take it to some apple experts as well, but I wanna know if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it before I go all the way to my local apple store and find out the same simple answer from them, or have to be told I need a new computer (it's a 2008 special edition black macbook, and I was told that they couldn't get new parts for the model).

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If anybody has any clue of what the cause of this problem might be, then I would really be happy to hear anything. I'm gonna take it to some apple experts as well, but I wanna know if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it before I go all the way to my local apple store and find out the same simple answer from them, or have to be told I need a new computer (it's a 2008 special edition black macbook, and I was told that they couldn't get new parts for the model).

I suspect it's a graphics related problem rather than one with your internet connection. Your machine uses the Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset which was really never designed for gaming or sustained video streaming. Your machine is a good one - I just the other day sold one that I owned partially because it was unable to install Mountain Lion and the graphics were outmoded. I hated to sell mine but that's the way it is....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.