Buy online or at local Apple Store?

Z

zooey74

I've decided to buy a 15" PB. I know through the online apple store I can customize it, add RAM, get the 7200 hard drive. . .is this also something that I can have done at the brick and mortar apple store? Or do they only sell the basic models and not do any customizations there?

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to buying from either place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
They do customizations at your local Apple Store, BUT, most of the time, when you go there, they just go on the Apple Store themselves FOR YOU, unless they happen to have the exact model you want in the store. It's really just for customer service that you order at the Apple Store. It's for if you need help, or if you want a really common, popular model that they'd have on hand. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.

OP
J

jn4jenny

zooey74 said:
I've decided to buy a 15" PB. I know through the online apple store I can customize it, add RAM, get the 7200 hard drive. . .is this also something that I can have done at the brick and mortar apple store? Or do they only sell the basic models and not do any customizations there?

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to buying from either place?

I strongly suggest that you at least pick up your new unit at the Apple Store, whether you take it directly from their stock or order it online. The reason is that once it comes in, you can demand to open it and try it out in the store so that any immediately obvious issues (like a dead pixel or a freezing trackpad) will become apparent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
long story short: dont upgrade your ram from apple in any way. go to crucial or newegg and order it from them and then install it yourself. you will save a bunch of money.

OP
A

Ameen

The store is easier, as you know exactly what you're getting and they have free shipping

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.