Why won't windows media player go away

Reaction score
i'm tryin got delete windows media player and it just won't go away.

The app is full of locked files which i can't get at to unlock(plus there are hundreds of them and manually unlocking all will take ages)
I've searched the forum and found other people with same prob but the solutions posted don't work e.g. hold apple while emptying trash, sudo rm, sudo rm -r

When i tried sudo rm it came up with 'override rwxrwxrwx michaelg/michaelg uchg for filepath' i pressed enter and it came up with another, then another etc... after all had gone it said blah blah blah(sorry forgot) directory is not empty

I really wanna get rid of this cos it's annoying the **** out of me

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mig.gentry said:
... hold apple while emptying trash...

Option. That's "hold down option while emptying the Trash."

I had no problems deleting WMP. It was actually kind of fun :)

G

guerom00

The actual command is "sudo rm -rf", i.e. -f for force : this way, it won't ask you
"override blah blah..." for each files.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
guerom00 said:
The actual command is "sudo rm -rf", i.e. -f for force : this way, it won't ask you
"override blah blah..." for each files.

And the "-r" is for recursive, in that it remove all files/documents and the folder/directory that contained the files/documents.

D

Danster

on windows you can't delete anything M$ related or anything for that matter but that peice of $*** is on a Mac now so show em who's boss and secure empty trash so the sucker is gone for good

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
thanks all
sudo rm -rf seems to have done the job

Are there any websites, books that are a basic intro to what can be done with the terminal. It seems to solve alot of probs but i'm cautious to play around cos i'll prob kill my comp

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
especially using sudo remove .... gives you super user access, which is dangerous for someone "playing around" with their system .. trust me, i speak from experience :bomb:

B

Billys95

mig.gentry said:
thanks all
sudo rm -rf seems to have done the job

Are there any websites, books that are a basic intro to what can be done with the terminal. It seems to solve alot of probs but i'm cautious to play around cos i'll prob kill my comp

Mike

WMP is drivin me mad...I wanna get rid of it but can't...whats all this sudo etc cause I haven't got a clue...PLEASE HELP!!!!! :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would say that you should do a search for wmp or windows in the HD. when the resuls come up, highlight them and hit command+delete. restart your computer then when you get back to your desktop before opening anything, hit command+shift+delete. i had to do that for another program and it worked. hope this helps.

B

Billys95

tried but no luck, still saying certain folders are locked. Trust the 1st problem i encounter to be something to-do with bloody windows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Umm...Force empty trash? Why don't you just use Secure Empty in the Finder Menu in Panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Thank you for helping me decide definitely not to yield to the temptation of installing Microsoft Media Player. I had a premonition it would cause this sort of rubbish.

B

Billys95

ApplejustWorks said:
Umm...Force empty trash? Why don't you just use Secure Empty in the Finder Menu in Panther?

Tried that aswell but it didn't work hence why I had to download the mentioned app. :bushman:

Reaction score
Microsoft not being content with pooping on windows based computers are now doing the same with macs. It's a conspiracy I'm sure. Bill Gates is a real bug lover.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.