prl_vm_app takes more than 2 GB

Reaction score
Good morning everyone:
On my mac Activity monitor I can see the inactive take a lot of memory gradually (within minutes) until it reaches 7 GB (I have 16GB of RAM) until the machine becomes too slow.
Any suggestion why this happens please?
BTW, I use the command purge to solve the problem temporarily, but this does does not solve the problem permanently. it comes back within minutes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While a large chunk of inactive memory may be coinciding with the machine slowing down - inactive memory would not be the issue causing the machine to slow down - inactive memory is memory that has been used, but is not being used currently - it is available at request for anything else that needs it.

I'd be looking at CPU usage instead and what application is being used.

M

MacInWin

prl_vm_app is the parallels application that runs if you have a vm running. Depending on the size of the VM, it will take a ton of memory and CPU to run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.