G3 Internal Speaker Dead...

N

NTL1991

Hello. I have the Blue and White G3 Power Macintosh. When I try to play music without any external speakers (I currently have none) no sound comes out of the internal speaker. But, when I plug in headphones to the Audio Out/External Speakers Plug on the back, the music comes out fine. I checked the leads on the Internal Speaker, and they seem securely snug to the motherboard. I really doubt it's a software issue, But I'm not a professional. I'm thinking of buying a new Internal Speaker Assembly... (I'm very picky with having EVERYTHING working on a computer, no matter how little)

Does anyone know what this is?

Nick

OP
N

NTL1991

Anyone? I purchased another one and it still won't work. The connectors on the motherboard look fine and the plug connects well. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
The speaker on my G4 DA doesn't work either, but niether does the audio.

OP
N

NTL1991

Yeah, If I hitch up external speakers they work fine, I think there might be a short in the pins on the motherboard, Tomorrow I'll check with a multimeter

Nick

OP
N

NTL1991

OK. I got it working. I bought an extra speaker and cut the motherboard connecter off of it. Then I spliced the wires and did the same to a mini-jack to mini-jack cable. Then I connected the speaker's spliced end with the mini-jack cable's spliced end and tada. I put the speaker back in and ran the wire out the back into the external speaker port.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.