Prepping iPhone 3G for sale - Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD
I have an iPhone 3G sitting around collecting dust. I upgraded to the 4 last summer. I'm surprised that folks are still getting $150-200 for them on Ebay. Sometimes more. Besides restoring the OS to factory condition and removing the SIM what else should I do to it? Can I get more jailbroken? Is there an "unlock" step that needs to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I have an iPhone 3G sitting around collecting dust. I upgraded to the 4 last summer. I'm surprised that folks are still getting $150-200 for them on Ebay. Sometimes more. Besides restoring the OS to factory condition and removing the SIM what else should I do to it? Can I get more jailbroken? Is there an "unlock" step that needs to happen?

I would imagine you coudl get a lot more by jailbreaking and unlocking. I sold two 8 GB 3G phones last summer for a total of $420. Both were jailbroken and unlocked. I also had the original boxes and included brand new headphones and charging cables.

Jailbreaking and unlocking is two different steps, and the method used depends on the firmware you are using. Neither is difficult, but some are easier than others. Most jailbreaks require you to download software to your computer, plug the phone into the computer, then run the software.

After jailbreaking, you go into Cydia (the jailbroken app store) and run something called repo666.ultrasn0w.com (or something like that) to unlock the phone. That way it can be used for T-Mobile as well as AT&T.

There's another forum, www.modmyi.com, dedicated to things like jailbreaking. You can find a lot of answers there.

OP
jrector
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD
Thanks for the info. That certainly gives me an idea what to do.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
[/COLOR]

I would imagine you coudl get a lot more by jailbreaking and unlocking. I sold two 8 GB 3G phones last summer for a total of $420. Both were jailbroken and unlocked. I also had the original boxes and included brand new headphones and charging cables.

Jailbreaking and unlocking is two different steps, and the method used depends on the firmware you are using. Neither is difficult, but some are easier than others. Most jailbreaks require you to download software to your computer, plug the phone into the computer, then run the software.

After jailbreaking, you go into Cydia (the jailbroken app store) and run something called repo666.ultrasn0w.com (or something like that) to unlock the phone. That way it can be used for T-Mobile as well as AT&T.

There's another forum, www.modmyi.com, dedicated to things like jailbreaking. You can find a lot of answers there.
Maybe slightly off-topic, but with the sale of T-Mobile to AT&T is there really much point in unlocking now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Maybe slightly off-topic, but with the sale of T-Mobile to AT&T is there really much point in unlocking now?
Yeah...I don't know. It'll probably be a year 'til the merger is complete, so I guess there's still time to cash in, but after the merger I don't see any need unless there's another GSM provider I'm unaware of.

Maybe you could unlock it and sell it on ebay to someone in another country with a GSM provider??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
when selling give the option to jailbreak it for free because you open up to more customers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.