d-link wireless issues

Reaction score
hey guys, I've been having issues with this new router. its a d-link DIR-655, and we use shaw high speed cable internet i think. So, we have a desktop PC and 2 laptop PCs, all of which work perfectly fine wirelessly (except the desktop, obviously). My family isn't really into macs, so my macbook was kind of an afterthought when my dad set up the router.

So, onto the problems.... so when i tried plugging it directly into the modem, it told me i had a self-assigned ip address. when i plug it into the router, it works perfectly, and when i use airport, i have some really bizarre problems: bittorent works fine most of the time, but everything else is pretty sporadic. when i try to browse the internet, sometimes it will work, and sometimes it wont. if i hit refresh a bunch of times, eventually it works. Oh ya, and went into the router settings to forward ports for transmission (bittorent) and aMSN, they still think they're closed. however, this doesnt seem to effect bittorent speeds. Also, when i try to webcam wirelessly, im extremely blocky, but i can usually see the other person fine.

So is there anything i can change in my router settings to fix this? I'm not very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff (no idea what DHCP is for) but any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
See my comment here that might help.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I had read that thread before posting, but I called shaw to get the DNS numbers and they told me they change alot, so it would only be a temporary fix. I appreciate the help though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems like a misunderstanding - DNS is Domain Name Server and it is the Address of the ISP and does not change. That is the one you want. Xnet is the DNS of my ISP and it has a Primary and Secondary IP address, don't know what country you are in but feel sure your ISP would have such IP numbers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Collin, it's not the DNS that changes, it's the IP address unless you have a Static IP that is the same every time. Either Shaw is totally wrong or they misunderstood what you said to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You could try renewing the DHCP license from preferences. It worked for me when I had similar issues a few years back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hold on, are you experiencing browsing issues while using torrents? Are you experiencing browsing issues on the other computers while you use torrents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have called D-Link's tech support several times when I had problems setting up a router. If they have their headset mic close enough to their mouth so that you can hear them and you can understand them in spite of the thick accent, they can often help. They will ask which model router you have and what ISP you use, and they can usually pull up the most appropriate settings to use.

OP
Q
Reaction score
ok, so my wireless is still crap. For some reason the router reset itself to factory settings, and suddenly it worked again. lightning fast, no issues. I didnt get around to trying to forward any ports, so i dont know if it would have worked. So everything was dandy, except now the exact same issues have started to appear again. Its like they've slowly gotten worse...its very strange. And I know the settings on the router have not been changed, because we still dont have a password on it yet.

Also, I tried renewing the DHCP license and I can't tell if it made a difference. It still loads very slowly and freezes up sometimes when I use browse the internet.

oh yes, and these problems seem unrelated to bittorent. does not matter if its downloading something or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
The FIRST thing I would do is secure that router. I might even help your speed If you have a lot of people using the "free" wifi you are handing out. The more people on your net work the less amount of bandwidth left for you. If you are determined to keep it free for the oppressed and downtrodden then you spin the wheel and takes you's chances !

hope this helps

Clay

OP
Q
Reaction score
lol, yes sir. WPA 2? I'll figure out how to do that after I call customer support to fix these wireless issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
If you are not sure how to setup security and you are still calling tech support then have them help you why you have them on the phone.

Clay

OP
Q
Reaction score
ok so...still having major wireless issues. Im really starting to get POd. Should have have just got a PC...I kid. but anyways, I tried putting in my primary and secondary DNS/IP addresses under "DNS servers" in the preferences and it didnt make a difference. and every time I touch the router settings, not only does it not affect my wireless, but it screws up everyone elses..:Shouting: even when i called tech support.

Anything else I could try? I even tried setting the beacon interval to 50..read that somewhere. did not work.

thanks for all your help guys

P.S. I live in canada. dunno if that helps at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guessing your set up/settings becomes tricky, so here is how i would handle it. Get back to basics - boot up router and connect just one laptop - try the Macbook and do a bit of testing with that - if there is no drama then crank up another laptop/desktop PC as well and test run both and see how they play together. If that is go, then do the same with the 3rd unit etc,. IN that way you may be able to isolate which unit is causing the problems. Check all the PCs and make sure they are set to using DHCP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want me to have a poke around then add me to your buddies in iChat and we can screen share. If u want my AIM registration then send a PM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.