Mail - automatically complete address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
When typing names in the address boxes for mail, I get a list of email addresses that includes those in my contacts, but also anyone that has sent me an email. I have preferences set to automatically complete address, which is what I want, but just want it to complete the address if it is actually in my contacts - otherwise I end up sending emails to the wrong people - which can be dangerous, if not just annoying.

Any way to clear the list of email addresses it is suggesting?

Thanks
Gord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Not at the mac right now, so doing this from memory. Click on the Window button in the menubar and see "previous recipients". Click on the ones you want to delete and just delete them. This will have no effect on your address book, so don't worry about that. I often just clear all of them to keep things neat. If it is not in the Window menu dropdown, check the others until you find the "previous" tab.

Hope this helps!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
Excellent, that did it.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.