photoshop, i photo, etc

Reaction score
I am used to using photoshop to make alterations to my photos. I have tried several options. I have old photos saved on an external harddrive, but I have others I downloaded into i photo. The problem is that I cannot seem to open the photos I downloaded into i photo in photoshop. I open photoshop and I then click open, I open the photo folder and I see the photos saved as simple jpeg, but I try to open iphoto and it says it is a file that photoshop cannot open. Do I have options? What is the best way to do this? Is it possible?

thanks
PS I am new to the world of mac and still learing. I use an external hard drive and have a SSD 125 gm internal memory on a macbook pro

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Open them with iPhoto and then export the photos to your folders. Alternately, if you want to use iPhoto to manage your pictures, you can set Photoshop as an external editor.
You would do that under Preferences in the iPhoto menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am used to using photoshop to make alterations to my photos. I have tried several options.........

thanks
PS I am new to the world of mac and still learing. I use an external hard drive and have a SSD 125 gm internal memory on a macbook pro

Hi again Scotty.. - please let us know that you have a MBP w/ 128 GB SSD (feel like you're describing a 'baby' aspirin - I'am a retired physician) - NOW, you are used to using Photoshop on a PC -right? If so, you probably need a program that is similar on the MBP - iPhoto will not be your first choice. I'm in a similar situation, i.e. transitioning from the PC world (which was what I needed when employed as an academic radiologist putting lectures together using Photoshop & PowerPoint) - NOW, I have images to manipulate and am looking for an option - I recently DL Pimelmator which seems like a good image editor for OS X from the reviews (now, not a recommendation yet but a consideration) - Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi again Scotty.. - please let us know that you have a MBP w/ 128 GB SSD (feel like you're describing a 'baby' aspirin - I'am a retired physician) - NOW, you are used to using Photoshop on a PC -right? If so, you probably need a program that is similar on the MBP - iPhoto will not be your first choice. I'm in a similar situation, i.e. transitioning from the PC world (which was what I needed when employed as an academic radiologist putting lectures together using Photoshop & PowerPoint) - NOW, I have images to manipulate and am looking for an option - I recently DL Pimelmator which seems like a good image editor for OS X from the reviews (now, not a recommendation yet but a consideration) - Dave :)

yes 128gb ssd mbp - and I am a current pharmacist that wish I was retired :)

I have photoshop for mac (just switched over from photoshop for PC). so trying to figure that one out

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes 128gb ssd mbp - and I am a current pharmacist that wish I was retired :)

I have photoshop for mac (just switched over from photoshop for PC). so trying to figure that one out

Just to be straight (especially since you have a number of related threads running), what do you actually mean when you say you are using Photoshop, as several programs use that in their name?

Photoshop Creative Suite CS(1,2,3,4 ....,)
Photoshop Elements
Photoshop Lightroom

OP
S
Reaction score
Just to be straight (especially since you have a number of related threads running), what do you actually mean when you say you are using Photoshop, as several programs use that in their name?

Photoshop Creative Suite CS(1,2,3,4 ....,)
Photoshop Elements
Photoshop Lightroom

sorry, photoshop elements (and the threads have started to discuss similiar things although their intent was different)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, photoshop elements (and the threads have started to discuss similiar things although their intent was different)

I use Photoshop Elements too. Pretty easy to set it up as an external editor in iPhoto, Aperture or Lightroom. Since iPhoto is free, I would suggest that you try it out to manage your collection. If up need any helps or tips, just ask.

One reference I usually recommend is the Missing Manual series by David Pogue. Will post some links in a bit.

EDIT: Here are some links

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...1&keywords=missing+manual?tag=macforums0e4-20

http://www.amazon.com/iPhoto-11-Mis...9&keywords=missing+manual?tag=macforums0e4-20

http://www.amazon.com/OS-Mountain-L...1&keywords=missing+manual?tag=macforums0e4-20

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.