G

GTwinkie

Hey guys...

My very first post! I did a search using just about every combination of

iTunes
burn
track names
song title

... and came up with nothing. When I first got my iMac G5, when I burned a CD in iTunes (of songs I purchased from the iTunes store), I seem to remember it including the song's track names, i.e. if I played the audio CD in Windows Media Player or iTunes on my PC, it would have the track names and info.

Well I burned a CD last night in iTunes on my Mac and then took it to my work PC with iTunes and tried to import the tracks. However, it was missing all of the info. Same with Windows Media Player.

I also recently upgraded iTunes to the latest version... is that what killed it?

Thanks for the help on the newbie question... 'preciate it!

Victor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If it is a mix disc the track listings will not show up because the information is not on the CDDB database. When you burn a full album from the iTMS or an album you ripped to the iMac and put the disc into any computer the CDDB database that iTunes connects to can find out the information on the CD. When you put in the disc try going to Advanced -> Get CD Track Names

OP
G

GTwinkie

Come to think of it, you're right. If I bought an entire album off of iTunes and burned it, it had the track names. But as of late, I've just been making mixes.

So even if I buy all the tracks from the Music Store, if it's a mix, it won't contain the info?

Bummer. Any way around this?

Thanks for the quick reply!

VNL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The thing is that when burn a CD it is converting the audio from the iTMS into aiff which is the standard Audio CD format. When you do that it loses all of the ID3 tags that contain the information and just puts down Track 01 etc. The reason that it doesn't matter with full albums is because when iTunes (or any audio player) connects to the CDDB database it can get all the track information (it looks at all of the track times and finds the matching album).

Only real way to get around it is to burn as an MP3 cd (iTunes -> Preferences -> Burning) which will allow you to put a lot more music and save the information. Only downside is most standard stereos cant play these (but the track information doesn't even matter on those)

OP
G

GTwinkie

Ah, I guess it's a battle I won't win.

Just as long as I'm not the only one with the "problem" I feel better.

Thanks for the throrough explanation!

VNL.

Reaction score
:(
If it is a mix disc the track listings will not show up because the information is not on the CDDB database. When you burn a full album from the iTMS or an album you ripped to the iMac and put the disc into any computer the CDDB database that iTunes connects to can find out the information on the CD. When you put in the disc try going to Advanced -> Get CD Track Names

Hi! My name is Michael and I am rather aged next to you young whiz kids and I need your help. I have the same problem, I Tunes will not burn track names.
I tried to use your tip of Advanced-Get CD track names but that heading was not lit up and unusable, why?
Please make your answer applicable to a 70 year old.
The only good thing about this is that like yourselves I have hundreds of records and cassettes and at the rate I am going I will be 114years old before I finish. With my luck I will go deaf first.
Cheers,
Michael.

Reaction score
burning track names

For years I have burned CD's in itunes and my titles from my mix playlist were burned along with the music. Now suddenly I cannot get the titles to burn.
If the titles of the songs are in the library, and in the playlist, why won't they burn? I have not changed any settings and have followed all the suggestions. I repeat...this is a new problem. Can it be a glitch with the newest version of itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
It stuff like this that between my iPod and iPod enabled car stereo I don't burn CDs anymore. Used to. Have a whole collection of awesome, labelled (with printed on custom labels I made myself from either pics from my photo collection or album covers of the artists) CDs which are currently collecting dust in a closet.

My new car has a CD player that has never seen any of my CDs, and I don't burn anymore. All digital. Oh and when I was burning CDs I had a little tingle of "don't put it past record companies to force Apple to quietly fark up that convenient CD burning in iTunes some day" so it would not surprise me if iTunes can't anymore.

Eh, since I turned this thread into a rant, maybe I'll test burning a music CD just for the heck of it and report back if I had any problems. I'm all up-to-date everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay looks like it does. Not only that but if you check "include CD text" in the dialog, it'll have tags when you put the CD back in.

Hmm, looks like my new car is about to see it's first CD. I'll be going out later and will play this CD. Wonder if my stereo will use those 'tags' to show the song on it's fancy (albeit still primitive by some standards) display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.