• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lock Picks, Legal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White macbook, 2GB RAM, Running OS 10.5.6
So here's my dilemma:
I make lock picks non-commercially for myself out of hacksaw blades. A friend of mine offered to pay me for a couple tools and a tension wrench. I kinda need the money now and I'm not sure if it is legal to sell non-commercial lock picks to people. What I'm really worried about is what if the cops come because he broke into someone's house with the lock picks I gave him? He's going to say he got them from me and then I don't know what will happen.

Does anyone know if it is legal to sell lock picks non-commercially in Massachusetts and what is your opinion on the whole situation?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Legal Issues - Appendix B, Guide to Lock Picking

Regardless of the law, as one not being in the business of selling such items, I would have to know the intent of anyone that I would sell said instruments.

And since inexpensive lock pick sets can be had for $20-$40, there must be some reason someone would be willing to pay you more than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
No specific law found. Heh. Stay away from it. There really is no point in possible trouble for a few bucks.

I guess I am saying:
GET A JOB.

Reaction score
they are legal for the most part. really depends on how much of a "friend" he is.

Reaction score
All I've seen are legal, of course he made a good point buying one for more then that, then there is usually a illegal reason... Its just like a slim-jim to get into cars, they are sold legally but often have people buying with illigal intentions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
The only lockpicks I will ever need, A cellphone, bolt cutters, or a blow torch(Funny story on this one). Heh but really don't even bother, if he wants to get into something that he has locked himself out of, had him a card for the local lock smith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Legal to make and sell, illegal to use for nefarious purposes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.