New Ipod Shuffle No iTunes

M

MrPencil

Last night I purchased an iPod shuffle and this morning I installed the iPod software. Then I attempted to install iTunes 4.7.1 when the first installation screen comes up the installation windows says "this software cannot be installed on this computer" and nothing else. I have tried to download the version off of apples site as well and i get the same message. My iPod will not work without this version of iTunes, and my G3 meets the system requirements for both the iPod and the new version of iTunes. I have also tried repairing permissions and rebooting, but nothing has changed. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I forgot to mention I am already using iTunes version 3 and I have a decent sized library. (thought this might make a difference)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I think I might have a solution for you. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think you have to remove the old itunes version before you can install a newer version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Macman said:
I think you have to remove the old itunes version before you can install a newer version.

Tried that and it still refused to install, neither from an iPod installation disk nor as a download from the Apple site. It turns out he's not the only one to encounter this problem, and the solution we found was to use Pacifist to install the iTunes package. For whatever reason, iTunes thought it couldn't be installed on the machine (B&W G3 400 which meets all listed requirements), but Pacifist was able to "bypass" this glitch and now everything apparently works fine.

OP
M

MrPencil

Yes, thanks to Padawan I am now enjoying my new Ipod shuffle. Thanks! ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.