Black MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac?

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard). I was considering one of these two options:

- 13" Black MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and, obviously, Leopard) = $1700

- 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, & Leopard) = $2700

Why are these two setups entirely identical (except for screen size and color) and yet $1000 apart in price. To me, the black MacBook obviously seems like a better deal, but is there some special difference that makes the MacBook Pro worth all that much more?

I've also heard that the finish on the MacBook Pro scratches a lot more easily than does on a regular black MacBook.

Once again, I prefer the Black MacBook due to the price, but you guys tell me what you think! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Larger screen (also LED based), dedicated video card, aluminum construction, backlit keyboard, and that's all I can think of.

I know how you feel, the Macbook definitely felt like a better deal back when I was buying my first Mac. I settled on the black Macbook and haven't regretted the decision since.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please do not Cross or Double post the same message in two forums. Thank you.

Also Firewire 800 Port, Real DVI Video port for two more. 15" Display Vs 13.1", Express Card Slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, I knew I missed some more features :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See, I knew I missed some more features :p

You got the main ones though that make the real difference. Somehow I missed your larger screen one. Oh well! :D

The LED display is really nice. I recently got to mess with a Macbook and MBP side by side and the LED display is amazing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok great. Thanks for the help.

btw: (sorry) i didn't mean to double post, i just realized that i posted it in the wrong category.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
What is it you are adding different to the MBP? The 250 GB HD upgrade? I got the low end MBP for 2k + tax. And you definitely should not buy RAM from Apple. Get that from a different source, you can pay $100 for 4GB or from Apple you can pay $400. I'm just curious how you have the MBP with 2.4 ghz processor to be 2700... Is that the 512 video card?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah the $2700 on the MBP is the price from Apple, which is why I thought it was a little pricey. The MBP comes with 2 memory slots (correct me if I'm wrong), so I could get the standard 2 GB, bring down the price considerably, and go out and by a cheaper 2GB from elsewhere, right?

That would make the MBP option much more feasible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went to the online Apple Store and configured a Macbook Pro with the specs you quoted, but with 2GB of RAM, for only $2049. Once you add in AppleCare, you get to $2398. If you're a student, then the Macbook Pro, including AppleCare, goes for only $2083.

While the Macbook Pro has two memory slots, it's going to come with 2x1GB sticks, not a single 2GB stick. So if you want 4GB, you're going to have to shell out for 2x2GB sticks. However, this will still be cheaper than paying Apple $200 to upgrade the RAM (or $180 if you're a student).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]
Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard). I was considering one of these two options:

- 13" Black MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and, obviously, Leopard) = $1700

- 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, & Leopard) = $2700

Why are these two setups entirely identical (except for screen size and color) and yet $1000 apart in price. To me, the black MacBook obviously seems like a better deal, but is there some special difference that makes the MacBook Pro worth all that much more?

I've also heard that the finish on the MacBook Pro scratches a lot more easily than does on a regular black MacBook.

Once again, I prefer the Black MacBook due to the price, but you guys tell me what you think! :)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...nnmm=browse&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook

compare for yourself. I mean yeah the processor is the same, but its 144mb of video vs 256, 13 vs 15 inch monitor those 2, are about a 500 dollar diff,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I would go with the MacBook Pro, but that is just my opinion. Definitely do NOT buy the RAM from Apple as they charge WAYYYY more than what you would pay if you installed it yourself. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm currently in a bit of a similar dilemma myself.

I had an older iBook G4 and bought the first generation Macbook when it was released. Now two years on I'm considering selling the Macbook while it's still got some value left in it and upgrading to a newer model.

Problem is the Macbook doesn't really offer a huge performance upgrade over what I currently have. Plus I've been doing some video editing occasionally and the Macbook tends to choke fairly quickly.

Back to your dilemma: I'd probably go for the Macbook, unless you really see yourself doing a lot of gaming or video editing. It'll be a great upgrade compared with the iBook and they're great value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
macbooks are a lot more economic and thir design is good. i actually prefer the smaller screens, so i reckon you should get the macbook. also consider getting the white macbook, since it's cheaper. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
I have a Macbook right now, and want to upgrade to a pro.

Therefor, I recommend the Pro.

Realistically, it depends what you plan on doing with it. When I was in college, I specifically got a MB because it didn't have dedicated video, and it was smaller. Dedicated video would have been bad cause all I would have done is play games, and smaller was better for college cause it left room on my desk for books and such.

Now that I am done with school, the ability to play newer games seems kind of nice, so plan for the future too. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard).

My question to you is...why do you think that you need a new machine?

Your iBook G4 1.2gHz, 1.25gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive is not that bad of a machine...especially if you are mostly doing word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and web surfing.

Now if you want to do lots of gaming...that's a different priority.

Also, Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)...needs more computer "horsepower" than 10.4 (Tiger). So your iBook would probably feel faster with Tiger instead of Leopard.

Food for thought,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.2 ghz, 120 gb & PB G4 1.0
yet another option

My question to you is...why do you think that you need a new machine?

Your iBook G4 1.2gHz, 1.25gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive is not that bad of a machine...especially if you are mostly doing word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and web surfing.

Now if you want to do lots of gaming...that's a different priority.

Also, Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)...needs more computer "horsepower" than 10.4 (Tiger). So your iBook would probably feel faster with Tiger instead of Leopard.

Food for thought,

- Nick

I agree with Nick that you have a decent machine - and Tiger will run a lot more stuff right now than Leopard. However, here is the option I used in April. I bought a 'previous generation' MBP 2.2 ghz, 120 gb and the price was only $1499 from the Apple online store. I bought 4 gb of ram from OWC computing for about $ 91 and put in in myself. So the total cost is less than your 'Blackbook'.
I love the display and backlit keyboard on the MBP. I finally upgraded from my old 12" PB G4.
One final word about the Blackbook - several users are complaining about the case cracking in the front where you rest your hands.

Happy hunting!
Mikey
Anyway, more food for thought!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video 30GB | Black macbook 2.2 gHz 1GB RAM 160 GB hard drive
i personnally would go with the black macbook-i have one.

If you have $2700 to spend, id get the black macbook and buy a lot of software and extras for the computer (Mighty mouse, keyboard, since they are so expensive each)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard
I have the Black MacBook myself. I TOO was in the same situation, and I only had 2 grand anyway. Really wanted the Pro, but settled for the BlackBook. Now, I regret not getting this lappy sooner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.