• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Deep Thoughts

Reaction score
Is there a way to short-circuit Panther so the machine will skip past "Waiting for local disks" after a hard reboot, rather than waiting till **** freezes over?

Why can't "they" put an automatic cookies-on preference in whatever browser's bookmarks you wish? Default would be cookies off, so the next bookmark used would turn cookies off again. Or would this be Active-Xish? Duh, I dunno.

Why does anyone use any browser other than Mozilla? Even Mozilla's derivatives won't block any and all ads. An add-on toolbar for most Mozilla derivatives allows the user to kill popups and flash with mere clicks of the mouse. But only Mozilla will block with a right click any ad without resorting to that add-on block-by-ad-size kludge. Everything Mozilla creates and/or uses can be nuked from the library -- automatically with AppleScripts if you wish. Safari will never block ads, for the same reason Internet Exploiter won't. A pox on browser speed. Waiting a 10th of a second longer means nothing when the alternative is a huge flashing ad telling me I can optimize Windows.

Why do downloads sometimes create new full-screen browser windows loaded with the downloading app's code, forcing the user to close the window and start the download again with the option key down? It's not a Mozilla-only phenomenon because it happened in OS 9 before Mozilla was a sparkle in Netscape's eye.

When will Apple paper over permissions ****? It's almost as big a pain as the registry in Windows. An hour before I posted this, the internet went off-limits. Ten minutes before, the connection was fine. I rebooted in 9, and was online immediately. Back in X, I ran Disk Utilities' permissions repair, and was plugged into the world once more. Permissions are X's glass jaw.

/Deep Thoughts

W

Wapa18

what are you talking about? safari blocks pop-ups (if that is what you are talking about). and i don't think permissions have any effect on internet connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I agree with WAPA18 and I think you may not be deleting cookies and emptying cache often enough are you running crons on time? Safari has never allowed any kind of pop up

OP
B
Reaction score
I should have been more specific. Popups and specific images can be blocked. With a right click, you can choose "Block images from this server," which 99.9 percent of the time are ads I want to get rid of. iCab has a similar function but loses the list of blocks on shutdown.

I wrote a script that dumps the cache and deletes the history every time I quit Mozilla, so I eliminated that as the cause of the no connection, and I run the required crons every day from MacJanitor. Once a week I run OnyX. Maybe the connection failure was fixed by coincidence after running the permissions repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.