MBP's most common Unfixable problem

Reaction score
Is it true that my MacBook Pro's HD not recognizing DVD's is the most common and unfixable problem with Apples laptops? My otherwise bulletproof late 2008 Core2 Duo has this problem. An internet search shows this to be a very, very common problem with many homemade 'solutions' all of which I have tried without success. Was there ever an official Apple fix to this like a Firmware update or something? Or, is the only real solution having to replace the drive or buying an external drive?

In case your one of the few MBP owners that haven't heard of this problem. Many MBP's HD's have no problem with CD's but eventually when a DVD is inserted the HD will spin up several times until finally it it will say it can't recognize the disc and either eject it or continue to endlessly just spin up and down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Slot loading optical drives on Macs are well known for their failure rate. The problem is not limited to the MacBook Pro but is also common on the iMac as well as other model Macs which use slot loaders. So what you're stating is nothing new.

New Macs (iMac, Mini, and retina models) are no longer equipped with an optical drive. And I suspect the next line of the MacBook Pro (non retina model) will likewise not have an optical drive. Buy an external optical drive to use rather than replace the expensive built in slot loader. External tray loading optical drives are inexpensive and will last for years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it true that my MacBook Pro's HD not recognizing DVD's is the most common and unfixable problem with Apples laptops?

Wanted to mention that you're really not using correct terminology.;) The device that is not recognizing DVD's is called an "optical drive"...not an HD (hard drive).

A computers hard drive & optical drive are completely different devices.:)

Correctly stated...the quote above should read:

"Is it true that my MacBook Pro's optical drive not recognizing DVD's is the most common and unfixable problem with Apples laptops?"

Just trying to help,:)

- Nick

p.s. And of course this issue/problem is fixable (if truly broken). Either the computers optical drive can be replaced...or an external USB optical drive can be used.:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Wanted to mention that you're really not using correct terminology.;) The device that is not recognizing DVD's is called an "optical drive"...not an HD (hard drive).

A computers hard drive & optical drive are completely different devices.:)

Correctly stated...the quote above should read:

"Is it true that my MacBook Pro's optical drive not recognizing DVD's is the most common and unfixable problem with Apples laptops?"

Just trying to help,:)

- Nick

p.s. And of course this issue/problem is fixable (if truly broken). Either the computers optical drive can be replaced...or an external USB optical drive can be used.:)

Ha, your absolutely right Nick, I stand corrected :) External Optical Drives are indeed cheap, I was hoping by now there was a simple fix, but no problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ha, your absolutely right Nick, I stand corrected :) External Optical Drives are indeed cheap, I was hoping by now there was a simple fix, but no problem.

Sometimes the slot-loading optical drive is dirty (blow out with canned air)...or the DVD's are dirty (carefully clean them). If neither idea helps...then maybe the optical drive is done for.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I rescued mine with a lens cleaner they are not recommended and some could damage the drive but when a Super Drive like mine did not recognize any disc I tried the lens cleaner and to my amazement now it will read and write to both CD and DVD.

OP
C
Reaction score
I rescued mine with a lens cleaner they are not recommended and some could damage the drive but when a Super Drive like mine did not recognize any disc I tried the lens cleaner and to my amazement now it will read and write to both CD and DVD.

Yup, tried that, blowing it out and several other fixes that worked for others but not me. I'll be looking for a chap optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Yeah when the DVD drive failed on my Mac mini I just spend ~£25 on an external USB one. Thing only gets used once a month anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.