• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

web surfing via generator last night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
lost power. pulled out our cheap 2500 Watt generator. lol

Reading the manual, it brought up a question/issue.. .

is it safe to hook the Mac to a generator?

reading all the warnings in the generators manual, you have to be really careful... exceeded the capacity of the generator can damage it and the devices connected to it.

I used it about 10 minutes and decided to not risk it... didn't want to chance messing the mac up or it's applecare warranty. There is NO WAY I can keep the chords under 15 feet. That's impossible.

---

Do not start or stop while devices are connected.
Keep extension chords short as possible. 15 feet or less.

DO NOT OVERLOAD GENERATOR. EXCEEDING WATTAGE CAN DAMAGE THE GENERATOR AND DEVICES CONNECTED TO IT!
Add up the total wattage of connected devices. It should NOT exceed 2500 watts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Not certain why I thought of this, but I believe you could overcome that risk of exceeding recommended power supply, or power flutter, or power sag by hooking a UPS into the generator; and then your Mac into the UPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
Well I'm over seas in Iraq right now, and of course I run of nothing but generators. I hate plugging my computer into the outlets over here..first off, everything is 240, which sucks when you get shocked by the way.

Second off, the power is just so dirty. Everytime I plug my charger into the outlets, huge sparks go everywhere. When you look at the tips on my charger, there black and burnt to a crisp lol. But everything still works perfect, so i'm not worried as of now.

But yeah, I wouls try to stay away from generators, If I could I would. The power that comes out of them is just to dirty to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.