problems transferring files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.8.4 and also a Powerbook G4 vintage year 2000, OS 10.3.9
I just bought a MacBook Pro, and now I'd like to transfer files from my old Powerbook G4 using firewire. I've followed all the steps properly, but my Powerbook refuses to go into target disc mode. I can't find Open Firmware password anywhere on the Powerbook, and I've never downloaded any security software, so I don't know what's preventing going into target disk mode.. The firewire cable is brand new, the firewire outlets on both laptops have never been used, and I am shutting down the Powerbook G4 and starting it up while depressing the "T" button in both OS9 and OS 10.3.9.

Any ideas?

Roland

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My guess is that the firewire cable and or the adapter is not correctly matched. You didn't give us the specifics for your Powerbook nor the MBP so it's only a guess.

According to Mactracker the Powerbook G4 models are equipped with FW 400. Your MacBook Pro probably has a FW 800 port. If that's correct, you would need the proper cable\adapter.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick response, and thank you also for the help. I've heard a lot of great things about Mac Forums, but this is the first time I'm testing it out. Usually I just give my laptop to a repair guy here where I live.

I purchased the cable/adapter at the Apple store in Roseville, CA, when I bought the MacBook Pro last week. I had my Powerbook G4 with me at the time, and they gave me the right FW cable. Each end of the cable/adapter has a different FW configuration, so I am guessing from your post that the MacBook Pro end is the FW 800 end, and the Powerbook end is the FW400 end.

But that's not the problem. The problem is that my Powerbook will not go into target disk mode when I press the "T" key while starting in either OS 9 or in OS 10.

By the way, is this the right forum? Should I have this thread in the OS X forum?

Roland

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: OS 10.8.4, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7

Powerbook: OS 10.3.9, 550 MHz PowerPC G4 processor. Boot ROM version: 4.2.9f1

Apparently, Boot ROM version is the same thing as the Open Firmware version, according to the Apple support page I found. But there's no Open Firmware password software on the disk that I can find. So something else must be preventing the Powerbook from opening in target disk mode.

Oh well, I'll take the laptops to my Mac guy this afternoon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I purchased the cable/adapter at the Apple store in Roseville, CA, when I bought the MacBook Pro last week. I had my Powerbook G4 with me at the time, and they gave me the right FW cable. Each end of the cable/adapter has a different FW configuration, so I am guessing from your post that the MacBook Pro end is the FW 800 end, and the Powerbook end is the FW400 end.

OK, that's fine. Just making sure you had in fact purchased the correct cable with the proper adapter on both ends. If you had the wrong cable or adapters your Powerbook would not go into Target Disk Mode.

If you followed the Apple Target Disk Mode procedure correctly, and the Powerbook hard drive does not show up on the desktop of the MBP when you boot the PB holding down the T key, then something is not right.

What makes you think your PB is protected by an open firmware password? Did you set it at one time?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the Apple Support pages I have seen only mention one thing that can prevent a Target Disc mode start: open firmware. So that's why I mention it. I don't have Open Firmware on the PB. And I don't know what else would prevent the Target Disc mode start-up.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW I love the aircraft photo. Is that a B-25?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try to dig around and see what I can come up with - regarding the Open Firmware and why your PB refuses to go into Target Disk Mode.

Apple doesn't say much in their trouble shooting tips.

The "bird" in my avatar is a Douglas B-26C Invader. It was used toward the end of WWII on up to the first couple of years of the Viet Nam war. I was a crew chief on it in the early years of my military days.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the time you're taking, but don't drive yourself crazy. I transferred a few things using a flash drive, although the results are not as nice.

I'd love to see that Douglas aircraft close up, it looks gorgeous. I'm an ex-A&P. Love radial engine aircraft. Love newer stuff too, but nothing beats WWII aircraft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.