Blue and White Power Mac G3 and OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5
I have a Power Mac G3 Blue and White, I think its the Rev 1 with Mac OS Rom 7.5.1 with a 300MHz processor, 448 MB Ram, 6GB HD, and Video card with 64 MB of Vram, it is currently running 9.1 i am trying to get 9.2.2 update from apple but it is going VERY slow for some reason. I was trying to install OS 10.4 on it and it said that it was not able to install. the computer will boot up OS X and get to the installer menu after the language selection then i get an error can not install
I am thinking that it will either be the Firmware or such that is causing the problem, I know that it is an old computer and not to viable in to todays world but i will make a great computer for my little boy to play on. any advice on what to do would be great and any advise on what can help me max the usefulness of this machine.

Reaction score
As I recall from running 9.2.2 and OS X (I think Tiger, but maybe Panther) on my blue-and-white 350, you must bump OS 9 up to 9.2.2 before you can run it under OS X's Classic, so maybe you also need 9.2.2 if you are loading X onto the same partition as 9. Run a web search or check Apple's site to see whether Tiger can run on your machine. Panther may be its limit.

If you partitioned the drive, X should load on it's own partition no matter the version of 9 on the other one. But even then, Classic under OS X wouldn't run unless 9 was 9.2.2.

I don't know why your update to 9.2.2 is slow. Maybe you should run through what was the usual drill with 9: Rebuild the desktop, run Disk First Aid, and if you have any other repair/maintainance app, such as Norton for 9, run it, too.

OS X (on its own partition) on my 350 was slow but serviceable. Classic running through OS X worked, as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5
I have a B&W G3 300MHz, 6BG HD, 477MB ram, running OS 9.2.2 I am trying to get it to update to OS X, I only have a install OS X 10.4 disk that cam with my Mac Mini and a full copy of 10.5 ( i know that 10.5 will not work ) my question it can i connect the mini and to the G3 together via Lan or Firewire and be able to use the mini to upgrade the G3 HD.
I am not sure of any other way to do it but to use another computer running OS 10.4 and install the OS that way on the HD and then put it back into the G3.
Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Should be fine assuming the G3 meets all of the Tiger requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Hmm mis read the post. Use the Mini to load the OS on the G3? Not sure if the G3 will be an acceptable destination drive. I would suggest backing up the G3 if things are valuable and change the HD to a larger one. If Bryan thinks it will work then he is probably correct.

I would not spend lots of time or monies here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You will need to use an actual, retail 10.4 disk, and you'll need to use either an internal optical drive, or a FireWire or USB-connected optical drive.

You cannot install from another computer.
You cannot use another computer's 10.4 disk without violating the licensing agreement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.