• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP read only

Reaction score
Hey all, i recently bought a 160GB external Hard Drive which was on special... Neways it says it works on both PCs and Macs, i can copy files from pc on Hard Drive, but get an error when trying to copy something onto HD whilst connected to mac = 'the item blah blah could not be moved because 'HD' cannot be modified. The info on the mac reads the ex. HD as a read only device!!!!
Please Help
Thanks in advance
Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sounds like it might be formatted as NTFS - Macs can't write to NTFS partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White
Yup, sounds like the format. Use disk utility to format it as FAT32 (backup you data first!!).

FYI

FAT32 Format - Read / Write from Windows or OS X

NTFS Format - Read / Write from Windows, Read Only for OS X

HFS / HFS+ Format - Read / Write from OS X, Windows can't even see HFS!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Changing format to FAT 32

Thanks both of you for your support, although i am new 2 macs and absoutely love them...
I still have a lack of knowledge of how to change the format to FAT32..
Its prob easy but dont want to do anything wrong... lol
I have cleared the HD completly and backed up everything!!!
Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.