My wireless has a mind of it's own and won't let me control it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
First off this isn't normally a big problem. Whenever I am at home or at University my Macbook automatically connects to the internet and I can use it with ease. But Airport says that it is turned off.

Airport will not turn on at all according to the wireless button on my top taskbar. But I still have internet connectivity, that is, in places when a key is not required.

If I open Internet connect I am told that the status is not available and the connect button does nothing. It tells me in the Network tab "not available" with the only other options being "other" or "computer to computer". However in contrast with the message from my taskbar, apparently airport has power on and I cannot turn it off.

What is it playing at? Can't use my macbook to connect to my friends' connections or to connect to another laptop, it's a pain!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.