Old macbook's new battery not charging

Reaction score
I have a black macbook from late 2008 (literally two weeks after I bought it brand new, the new aluminum version was released), and I've been using the same battery since the day I bought it. The only reason I had to replace it is because it became so bloated I couldn't use the trackpad or mouse button anymore. So this is my first time replacing the battery.

I bought a third party battery that came with a 1 year warranty and replacement guarantee, and it just arrived today. Plugged it in, got the No Battery Installed issue. Reset SMC, and now it recognizes the battery, but says it won't charge.

I've done searches on the problem, but it always seems to come up with something like "whenever I unplug it it goes off immediately". The battery arrived with 5 charge lights, and when unplugged my macbook runs fine off of whatever is in the battery despite it being on 0%.

I've not tried the old battery again, because frankly it sort of scares me thinking it could explode or something. I'll try it tomorrow, I suppose. This isn't a major issue, since I usually have my macbook plugged in anyway. I just couldn't stand using the bloated one anymore.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: XXXX-YYYY-0-0
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Reaction score
I have encountered this problem with some of the after market third party batteries.
I have noticed that some of them do not fit in the battery compartment as they should and do not make complete contact with the socket that power the unit. Also it is possible that the bulging of the old battery has warped or pushed the units battery socket out of place slightly . Check the socket that has the 5 prongs that plug into the battery , you may be able to disassemble the unit and either replace this or sometimes even tightening it up . The old battery most likely has pushed this out of place or caused it to become loose. I would almost bet that the socket is loose and not making complete contact with the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.