Problem Restarting

S

shastacola

Hello,

Just need a little advice; hopefully others have seen this problem before.

My power book has been running extremely slow, most of the time on restart the computer fails to restart. I normally have to do a force quite all in order to restart the system. After doing this my system takes up to an hour to restart, not sure what the deal is. Should I do a fresh reinstall of the OS?

Something that really strange happened today, I had to reboot my computer because everything was extremely slow I was running just a few apps (eudora & Firefox) well after doing the force restart normally when the computer starts to restart it will have the apple logo along with an icon below showing that the computer is booting up. Well the odd thing is that the apple logo was replaced with a circle with a line through it.

I would greatly appreciate any help pointers on advice.

Thank you very much!

Tony :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Download and install Yasu (its a free maintenance program for mac), run everything.

For people who havn't used it, it does cron scripts, empties logs, and repairs disk permissions (along with other stuff).

Reset your PRAM. Thats a hotkey combo that you have to hit when you restart. Can't remember it offhand, either search the forum or google for something like "reset pram" or "reset pram mac" or "reset pram apple" and you'll find it.

If you do all the above, your mac should be flying again. I had the exact same problem and had a good 50% increase in speed to what it was when I got it. In the future, I'd run Yasu once every 1-2 weeks.

OP
S

shastacola

Thank you very much, I really do appriciate the help. I will test out that software!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
shastacola said:
Thank you very much, I really do appriciate the help. I will test out that software!

Thanks for saying "thanks." I really appreciate it when people do that, it makes me feel like I've done something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.