MacBook bags: where to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
Sorry for plopping this in the Switcher forum but I wasn't sure where to put it. Mods, feel free to move if necessary.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting a carrier for my new MacBook. I like the messenger style bags, or backpacks. I've done some Googling & found a ton of vendors, many of which seem a bit spendy to me. So I thought I'd query my fellow Macophiles to see where you all get your MacBook bags.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Seriously, you can get them pretty much anywhere...Target, Walmart, and wherever backpacks are sold...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or at your favorite Apple store.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2009 2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
if there is a macmall near you... they have some nice ones

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Apple heads = spendy. Most people don't want to put a $2+K computer in a bag made for some $300 Dell.

The better (and more fun for shopping hunter-gatherer-types) way to approach your problem is to find a bag you like and then work backwards to find a deal on it. Say, for example, you really like the tumbuk2 bags. Google and bing for easy-to-find deals (by simply searching on timbuk2 and then click on the shopping link on each search engine), search for coupon codes for the store or manufacturer (google "timbuk2 coupon code" and the like or hit coupon sites like retailmenot.com), and hit the deal-a-day sites.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
Techound1, I'm glad you mentioned Timbuk2. That's a brand I'm not familiar with, but after looking at their site - especially their build-a-bag options - I think I've found exactly what I'm looking for! I didn't wanna put my MacBook in *just anything* ;D but I think I'm on the track towards what I had in mind all along...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry for plopping this in the Switcher forum but I wasn't sure where to put it. Mods, feel free to move if necessary.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting a carrier for my new MacBook. I like the messenger style bags, or backpacks. I've done some Googling & found a ton of vendors, many of which seem a bit spendy to me. So I thought I'd query my fellow Macophiles to see where you all get your MacBook bags.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bags & Notebook Cases - Apple Store (U.S.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I walked into Staples with my MacBook Pro and test fit it in a bunch of different cases, until I found the one that was nice and light weight, comfortable on my shoulder and had lots of accessible pockets. Every time I've ever ordered a bag or sleeve online, I've always been disappointed with it.

I ended up buying a Wenger neoprene bag (I don't know the specific model). It was a little pricey at $50, but it's got lots of pockets, is well-padded and fits well. Over 3 years of daily back-and-forth to work, it still looks like new.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I walked into Staples with my MacBook Pro and test fit it in a bunch of different cases, until I found the one that was nice and light weight, comfortable on my shoulder and had lots of accessible pockets. Every time I've ever ordered a bag or sleeve online, I've always been disappointed with it.

I ended up buying a Wenger neoprene bag (I don't know the specific model). It was a little pricey at $50, but it's got lots of pockets, is well-padded and fits well. Over 3 years of daily back-and-forth to work, it still looks like new.

I don't think that 50 dollars is pricey for a bag. ^-^" I paid around 150 for mine but only because it was designer...>_<"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't think that 50 dollars is pricey for a bag. ^-^" I paid around 150 for mine but only because it was designer...>_<"

Maybe I'm cheap, but I view $50 as a lot for a neoprene laptop bag. The only time I've ever paid more is for one of my leather Dell bags (I think that was like $100). Brand and aesthetics are really unimportant to me. I'm all about the comfort and convenience (and it has to be a "top loading" bag, none of these crappy bags that you have to unzip apart and open like a book).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Maybe I'm cheap, but I view $50 as a lot for a neoprene laptop bag. The only time I've ever paid more is for one of my leather Dell bags (I think that was like $100). Brand and aesthetics are really unimportant to me. I'm all about the comfort and convenience (and it has to be a "top loading" bag, none of these crappy bags that you have to unzip apart and open like a book).

The bag that I got was designer, looks pretty much like a messenger bag, however it has it's own compartment for a 15" notebook, which is suspended by velcro and thus can be removable. The bag itself can expand or contract with zippers, and it looks very unique.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are bags, and then again there are bags. I have a theory. Life is about bags. Think about it. Everything is contained in something. I am bag crazy. I love bags. But, I digress. The coolest, best made, most convenient to use laptop bag I've found is made by Waterfield in San Francisco. Take a look. I've had two of them and will buy more I'm sure. SFBags - WaterField Designs - Laptop Bags - Laptop Sleeves - Checkpoint Friendly - Travel Cases - Made in USA

Sling bag looks a lot like a purse. >_<"

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
If you travel a lot leather wears very quickly. I've found it to be a hassle to keep it looking nice no matter how careful and gentle I am. I fly 200K+ miles/year so that probably has something to do with it though. For those of you that travel a lot I can highly recommend the Tumi T-Pass Alpha. The 15" MBP fits like a glove against the padded sides and you do not have to take it out for screening as the bag is "checkpoint friendly." I've used it all over the world and the only place that has made remove the laptop in it was YUL (horrible place to travel from/to anyway).

I like it because I don't have to be careful and it still looks great, it is small enough to keep me from packing bunches of useless things but big enough to carry everything I need and it works great with rollaboards.

Reaction score
Another option is Ebags.com, you should be able to find anything you want from inexpensive to big bucks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you travel a lot leather wears very quickly. I've found it to be a hassle to keep it looking nice no matter how careful and gentle I am. I fly 200K+ miles/year so that probably has something to do with it though. For those of you that travel a lot I can highly recommend the Tumi T-Pass Alpha. The 15" MBP fits like a glove against the padded sides and you do not have to take it out for screening as the bag is "checkpoint friendly." I've used it all over the world and the only place that has made remove the laptop in it was YUL (horrible place to travel from/to anyway).

I like it because I don't have to be careful and it still looks great, it is small enough to keep me from packing bunches of useless things but big enough to carry everything I need and it works great with rollaboards.

Not sure what you mean by "wears very quickly." If you mean that it looks beat up and scratched and old...then that's kind of normal. I actually like it to look beat up, it gives it character.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
Not sure what you mean by "wears very quickly." If you mean that it looks beat up and scratched and old...then that's kind of normal. I actually like it to look beat up, it gives it character.
Yep, beat up and scratched. I have a very nice and very expensive leather bag that I just hate to see take the abuse it does in air travel. I now only use it in certain situations to keep it looking as nice as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.