difference between 2.0GHz and 2.13GHz?

Reaction score
Sorry for posting such a specific question begging for advice, but I have been a PC user all my life and am rather clueless when it comes to Macs! Unfortunate circumstances with my last laptop have led me to the decision to invest in a MacBook (need to buy it this week, and I'm trying not to spend a ton), but I'm having trouble deciding between a few. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My main options are a 13in white MacBook with 2.13 GHz, 2GB memory, and 160GB hard drive. It's refurbished for $900, including tax.

On the other hand, I could go for a 13in aluminum MacBook, but it only has 2.0 GHz. Still has 2GB memory and 160GB hard drive. That one would be from my school's computer store, so I believe its an older generation, and tax-exempt total is $849.

So I guess my real question is- is it worth it to get the newer, 2.13GHz processor? I heard it might be. I'm not sure the beautiful aluminum is enough reason not to get the 2.13 (I love it, but I won't be needing anything too fancy- just writing lots of papers, surfing, and playing with music and photos mostly). Sorry for the intense post, any help would be great though!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is not enough difference in the processor to make it worth talking about.

The aluminum will be worth more when you go to sell it unless it is the model without a Firewire port. I'm guessing it is.

If you don't need the firewire and are planning on using this yourself for 2-3 yrs, I'd get the aluminum, save the $50 for the first piece of software you want and have a nicer looking machine.

You might also check if one has iLife '09 vs '08 pre-installed.

Tough choice value wise.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah you're right- the aluminum is the model without the FireWire port. Does that mean it is the older model? What's FireWire useful for anyway?

Both machines come with iLife '09, and I plan to use it for as long as it will keep functioning. Hopefully longer than 3 years!

Reaction score
I just got my new MacBook 2.13 and it's awesome, but the aluminum with the glass one click trackpad is awesome as well. DDR2 ram which comes in the whitebook is cheaper to upgrade and when snow leopard comes out should gain another performance increase seeing as snow leopard is supposed to use less ram. So either way enjoy because you are getting a great machine. I plan on getting a pro in a couple years. But until then I really like my whitebook.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah you're right- the aluminum is the model without the FireWire port. Does that mean it is the older model? What's FireWire useful for anyway?

Both machines come with iLife '09, and I plan to use it for as long as it will keep functioning. Hopefully longer than 3 years!

The Firewire interface is actually quite a bit faster for use with external hard drives, since it supports much higher sustained transfer rates than USB. Also, many miniDV camcorders use Firewire connectivity for transferring video.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry for posting such a specific question begging for advice, but I have been a PC user all my life and am rather clueless when it comes to Macs!

My main options are a 13in white MacBook with 2.13 GHz, 2GB memory, and 160GB hard drive. It's refurbished for $900, including tax.

On the other hand, I could go for a 13in aluminum MacBook, but it only has 2.0 GHz.

Strictly speaking regarding the processor speed only (2.0ghz or 2.13ghz) between the two laptops...you don't have to be a longtime "PC user" or "Mac user" to know that the difference in speed between the two processors is very very little.

BTW...we are only talking a $50 dollar difference here...so price really shouldn't be an issue. I think the BIG decision is...do you like White or Aluminum!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.