Wireless router problems

Reaction score
My neighbour has a problem. He just got a brand new iMac 20" which I talked him into :D but he can't connect to the internet.

He has 2 windows laptops and a PC with a wifi card and they connect beautifully and fast.

He has two sets of user informations. One set is for the connection from the router to the network, and the other for the connection from the computer to the router.

The iMac (as does my Macbook) sees the router, but can't connect to it. We tried creating a PPPoE connection but to no avail. :[

You can rule out a malfunction on the Airport card because when I share my own ethernet connection the iMac can see it and connect to it and CAN go online.

The most annoying thing is that his windows laptops connect without a hitch, and my Macbook and his iMac cannot! :Shouting:

Please help me. :(

P.S. He's even thinking of installing windows on it completely!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
Do you also recommend this when running Panther on a PB?

My MBP connects rightaway to my Linksys, but the PB sees the router, but doesn't accept the password somehow... and I've checked it more than 10 times.

Says there's an unknown error and can't connect because password is incorrect.

Thanks SM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Try reseting the router and turning off all other devices on the network. Than try to connect just with the Mac.

Reaction score
Done that... not working.

Using it now, only wired... and that works perfectly.
Thing is, when I enter my 15 char. password it shortens it to like 6 or 7 chars.

Update: removed Panther and reinstalled Tiger as there is possibly no support for the Linksys router in Panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.