western digital hard drive...your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am looking at this hard drive because it is on newegg for real cheap...i was wondering if it would work as an external hd for my PB running 10.3.8

TIA
chris

Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD2000JB, OEM Drive Only

Model# WD2000JB
Item # N82E16822144129

Specifications:
Capacity: 200GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You absolutely could use it as an external drive with a firewire enclosure. I've always like WD drives personally.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my 3 concerns were (as i should have mentioned before)
1) formatting it (how to?)
2)ata100 vs ata 133
3)"oem drive only" vs "retail" packaging

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Well...my response would be:

1.) With Disk utility you can format the drive as long as you can get it hooked up with an external enclosure.
2.) I don't think they've produced an IDE drive yet that showed honest performance improvement in a single drive setup by going to ata133...I'm sure if I'm wrong...others will pipe up and school me.
3.) If you're going to put the drive into a external enclosure and you're still getting the longer drive warranty...why worry about the "extras" that come with a retail package. Are you going to need an IDE cable? (your enclosure of choice likely will already have one) Are you going to need their data transfer software? (Usually these can be downloaded from their sites anyway) If you don't need these things...why not save some cash...and go with the OEM version?

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
looks like i will be ordering it...ill let you all know how it goes/went once i recieve everything
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.