Where is the virtual memory in mac

Reaction score
Hi.

Anyone know where is the virtual memory in mac? Diablo 2 LOD game has requirement on the virtual memory.

B

bluemuppet

well, if you are running Mac OS 8/9+ then you should be able to adjust the Virtual Memory through the Memory control panel:

(Apple) > Control Panels > Memory

however, note that the Virtual Memory in OS 8/9+ is using HDD storage, so if you HDD is full you will not get much performance out of it.

If you are using Mac OS X, this probably shouldn't be a problem and OS X handles RAM usage dynamically...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ahhh, but this does not answer the question! In the Windows world, we all know that there is a file usually called something like NTUSER.DAT that is the virtual memory repository. In Linux, there a swap partition, clearly visible from any disk management program. How about OS X? Where does it keep the disk space for virtual memory?

An interesting question I hadn't thought about before because Mac OS X *does* do such a good job of managing virtual memory that I haven't had to!

Reaction score
Virtual memory is in /var/vm.
You wont see it in Finder unless you have it set to show hidden files.
I also DON"T recommend messing with it.
If you're having problems and think it has to do with virtual memory, I recommend Applejack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Messing with OS X's swap file directly is asking for major problems.

bluemuppet answered the question well.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for yours reply.

Why I am asking this question that is because my OSX10.3.9 panther with classic is cozing me very lagging when i play Diablo 2 LOD game...:radioacti

I can't even play it smoothly....game interface keep stopping...move..stop..move.......

Reaction score
Don't play under classic. Get the OS X installer for Diablo II.
Or just boot into 9 and play there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
An interesting question I hadn't thought about before because Mac OS X *does* do such a good job of managing virtual memory that I haven't had to!

Does it? I notice that my widgets grab about 350mb of virtual memory each... which is insane? I'm not complaining because performance seems great, but the OS just seems to dish out VM like it's a big tub of ice cream!

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Don't play under classic. Get the OS X installer for Diablo II.
Or just boot into 9 and play there.

Hi Cradom,

Forgive me for me keep asking stupid question....

What do you mean by get the OS X installer for Diablo II?

Since I bought the OS x (Panther 10.3) I want to install to my imac, but as it come with classic. & safari.. if I want my OS to be in OSX10.3, is there anyway I can also just boot into 9 to play DB2???

Reaction score
First off, what iMac do you have? The newer ones will not boot into OS 9.
If it is an older one, you can have both OS X and OS 9 installed and boot into either one.

Second, there is an installer which will install Diablo II and will enable you to play it on OS X. You can get it here: http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0387p#OSXNative

It will ask you to insert the cd's just like an OS 9 install, but installs an OS X application for the game.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Hi Cradom,

Ok here's my imac spec:-

Type: 15" Flat panel imac
Processor: 800 MHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 768 MB SDRAM
O/S : just upgrade to OSX10.3.x (goin to updates to OSX10.3.9)

Reaction score
Just click the link in my last post and download the installer. I play it in OS X Tiger on my 400 Mhz B&W G3 just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.