OS X Tiger installation problem

B

beevski428

Hello,
I am installing a copy of OS X 10.4 on an iBook G4, and ran into an issue on disc three, in whichi it tells me there was an error, and to try installing again. I want to return to my previous Panther installation, but the laptop boots up in the installation process, which I cannot exit. Is there anyway I can cancel the installation and get to my previous OS X 10.3? I am PC savvy but just beginning to learn macs, so any help would be apreciated.

Calvin.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
if I understand this right. You were at 10.3 (panther) and you started to install 10.4 (tiger) over the top of you previous system. If that is the case, then the only way you are going to get back to 10.3 is to re-install.

As for the problem with disk three, have you tried cleaning the disk. Some time a little finger print, scratch, or dirt can cause you major problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I think he's saying he's stuck in the installation process for 10.4 and it won't let him get to a screen where he can reinstall 10.3.

Beevski, once the computer is powered up-- even if it's stuck in the 10.4 installation-- put your first Panther disk in the drive. Then power the computer down, hold down "C", and you should boot up off 10.3.

Let us know how this works!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.