Can't upgrade to os x 10.6

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to MAC. A friend gave me his old macpro 1,1 which is running os x 10.5.8.

I also have the install dvd of os x 10.6.4 but when i try to install this, i get the message: Snow Leopard can't be installed on this computer.

When i checked the requirements for os x 10.6.4 i read that i needed an intel processor. Which i should have recording about this mac.

Model: Mac Pro
Modelaanduiding: MacPro1,1
Processorname: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processors speed: 2.66 GHz
Nr processors: 2
Total cores: 4
Memory: 3 GB
ROM-version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC-version (system): 1.7f10

I can't find a tool or error log explaining me why it doesn't want to upgrade.

Does anyone have tips or more information about this.

Thx in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you have a retail Install disk, or a gray restore disk?

You need a retail version to install. The gray disks only work on the computer they come with.

Reaction score
Purchase the retail Snow Leopard DVD. Do the following:

1. Repairing the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger and Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

2. Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (journaled, if available) and click on the Erase button. This step can be skipped if the destination has already been freshly erased.

4. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.

6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.

7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive.

Source means the internal startup drive.

3. Boot from the Snow Leopard DVD and install Snow Leopard. It will automatically upgrade your existing system. Because of the nature of upgrading the OS expect the process to take considerably more time than a new installation on a freshly erased drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.