MacPro Memory Questions

S

Spencer

I've searched the forums, but I wasn't able to find the exact answer to the questions that I have about memory on the MacPro. I just ordered a new MacPro with the default 2x512MB RAM, because I wasn't about to pay Apple for extra RAM as their prices are ridiculous. I then read around various forums for suggestions on RAM to insert into my new MacPro. However, I'm still left with two questions and being new to the Mac, I'd appreciate some help from some seasoned Mac veterans.

1. I came across this memory from Kingston as a viable option for some additional memory. Although, the reviews on Newegg.com for it are all positive, I'm still worried about heat issues. Should I be worried with that memory? If I should be worried, what are some other sticks of memory that I would be completely safe using?

2. People also suggested on other forums that having 2x512 MB and then a few sticks of 1 GB might cause problems, because the memory isn't all of the same size. Will this be a real issue? I'm planning to buy 2 sticks of 1GB to add to my MacPro, so that would leave me with 3GB at 2x1GB and 2x512MB. Would it be better to remove the 2x512MB and leave myself with only 2GB of RAM or keep it at 3GB even though the RAM is of different sizes.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I've not used a Mac in about seven years and am definitely quite a newbie as to its current hardware situation. Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
With multi-channel memory, it is always best to try and use the same brand/speed memory in all cases. Back in the old days you could throw in whatever memory you had lying around and not have any issues, but nowadays with dual-channel and now quad-channel FB-DIMM on the Woodcrest platform, it's best to have memory sticks that are identical.

I've worked with several new Woodcrest server platforms and all have had identical memory installed; never any mismatched memory. I haven't tried to install different memory, but it could possibly not even work at all.

Also, with the Mac Pro, keep in mind that the Intel 5000-series chipsets support quad-channel FB-DIMM DDR2, so unless you have at least 4 DIMMs, you're not taking full advantage of its performance.

That memory looks good to me. I hate Kingston, but that's my own personal opinion. Don't worry about heat; FB-DIMM memory has a chip in the middle that creates a lot of heat so they are just going to run hot no matter what. This is why FB-DIMM memory has heatsinks installed on them.

If you want 2GB total, I would go with 4X512MB to take full advantage of the quad-channel FB-DIMM. In your case you can go ahead and get 2 more 512MB sticks, but do some research and make sure you get the same brand as installed in the Apple, or at least identical speeds and latencies.

OP
S

Spencer

Thanks for the response.

SuB8HaVeN said:
That memory looks good to me. I hate Kingston, but that's my own personal opinion. Don't worry about heat; FB-DIMM memory has a chip in the middle that creates a lot of heat so they are just going to run hot no matter what. This is why FB-DIMM memory has heatsinks installed on them.

If you want 2GB total, I would go with 4X512MB to take full advantage of the quad-channel FB-DIMM. In your case you can go ahead and get 2 more 512MB sticks, but do some research and make sure you get the same brand as installed in the Apple, or at least identical speeds and latencies.

What memory would you suggest then if not Kingston?

Also, what would you suggest then if I'm looking to get 3GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I just added two 1gb sticks of the ram you linked here from newegg 10 minutes ago. Works just great. :)

OP
S

Spencer

gort said:
I just added two 1gb sticks of the ram you linked here from newegg 10 minutes ago. Works just great. :)

Have you tried anything that needs lots of memory? Games, etc.? Please post back on how the performance is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I will let you know how world of warcraft runs shortly. I have been extracting some huge rar archives and it's pretty **** fast. :)

Reaction score
That Kingston memory you showed works just great in the Mac Pro. I have a couple of the 1 gig chips installed for over a week now and there have been no problems what so ever. Everything runs great.

OP
S

Spencer

gort said:
I will let you know how world of warcraft runs shortly. I have been extracting some huge rar archives and it's pretty **** fast. :)

That's one of the things I'm interested about. :)

So you have the default 1GB RAM + 2GB or + 1GB?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.