iPhoto runs painfully slow

Reaction score
I need a hand with iPhoto. I've been having some serious performance problems with the program, and I have no idea what to do. I'll start by saying I don't know a thing about repairing permissions, rebuilding things, and all that.. I'm not a computer guy, so if the problem is obvious to you experts out there, take it easy on me.
So, I don't have a terribly large collection of photos, probably around 1000... But using the program has become nearly impossible. If I make any adjustment to a photo, i.e. name, levels, effects etc..., I get the spinning beachball for minutes at a time until I can move to the next picture. It can take nearly ten minutes just to make simple adjustments to three pics.
I looked at my pictures folder, and the iphoto library is 9 something gigs. I'm using the latest version of iPhoto, running the latest version of Leopard on a macbook. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

C

chas_m

Launch iPhoto holding down the shift, option and command keys. You will be presented with a dialogue box of repair options. Check everything and let it do its thing.

Report back and let us know if that helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.