HD recovery for MBP

Reaction score
I have a MBP I got in 2007. In October 2010 the motherboard gave out and died. Cannot afford to replace it and I just bought a new PC so I am going to take it apart and salvage the HD. What is the best way to recover data from the mac HD with Ubuntu or Windows? Preferably Ubuntu.

I don't believe the HD is dead. No, actually it's not dead. It's just very severe kernal panics which you can see here: http://youtu.be/xZcC0uVHM08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
If your PC is a desktop you can throw it in the PC connecting it to a sata port. If it is a laptop then you will need to get an external HDD.

With Ubuntu I think it will automatically mount and HFS+ (OSX Journaled) drive but it might mount it as read only (I think it depends on the version of Ubuntu). If you need to write to it I think there are work arounds. Just google it.

From there just pull files you need onto your other HDD then reformat into NTFS or ext(4?) (for ubuntu) if you want another drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.